Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adrianbass Adrianbass is offline

Default How can I get my email merge in HTML to work in Word 2007?

I have Office 2007 and Vista 64 and when I try to send an email mail merge
(in Word) in HTML the emails never go out. If I do it in Plain Text it works
but pops up a security dialog box for each email. I have seen that others
have had this problem, but have seen no solutions. I have both Word and
Outlook 2007. I have spent a lot of time trying to search for help to no
avail.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I am sure Peter will be along later to explain the problem, but in the
meantime, see http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0002.htm

FWIW some users have reported that simply installing the trial version of
MAPILab's Mailmerge toolkit add-in for Outlook
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/mail_merge/ resolves the issue as it sets up
the environment to merge to html. You may even find you like the extra
functions it provides - and no, I don't have any connection with MAPILabs.

Adrianbass wrote:
I have Office 2007 and Vista 64 and when I try to send an email mail
merge (in Word) in HTML the emails never go out. If I do it in Plain
Text it works but pops up a security dialog box for each email. I
have seen that others have had this problem, but have seen no
solutions. I have both Word and Outlook 2007. I have spent a lot of
time trying to search for help to no avail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adrianbass Adrianbass is offline

I am waiting to see what Peter says, but in the meantime I installed the
Toolkit you mentioned, but when I ran the merge with it I got a Fatal Error.
I have emailed their support about the error, and was frustrated that that
alternative did not work.

Adrianbass wrote:
I have Office 2007 and Vista 64 and when I try to send an email mail
merge (in Word) in HTML the emails never go out. If I do it in Plain
Text it works but pops up a security dialog box for each email. I
have seen that others have had this problem, but have seen no
solutions. I have both Word and Outlook 2007. I have spent a lot of
time trying to search for help to no avail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The only other bit of info I have that may help was actually posted
recently by someone else (lsilverman):

I haven't had an opportunity to pursue this - AFAICS at least one other
person tried it without success but perhaps a bit more understanding is
required.

------------------

Problem is some kind of corruption in the MAPI system. Apparently
Word uses Simple MAPI for attachment and plaintext merges, but
Extended MAPI for HTML merges.

Anyway, the fix involves a registry edit. Find:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows Messaging
Subsystem / MSMapiApps

You'll see a series of programs and dll's listed as keys, and then
various clients (generally "Microsoft Outlook") listed for each key.
Create new entries for "word.exe" and "winword.exe" and enter
"Microsoft Outlook" as the value. Should work fine after that.

More details can be found in this article from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315458

Lee
------------------

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Adrianbass wrote:
I have Office 2007 and Vista 64 and when I try to send an email mail
merge (in Word) in HTML the emails never go out. If I do it in Plain
Text it works but pops up a security dialog box for each email. I
have seen that others have had this problem, but have seen no
solutions. I have both Word and Outlook 2007. I have spent a lot of
time trying to search for help to no avail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adrianbass Adrianbass is offline

Thank you Peter, I made the changes you suggested with regedit, rebooted and
tried the merge. It still did not work through the regular merge, but it
finally worked using the Merge Toolkit!

You have been very helpful

Adrianbass wrote:
I have Office 2007 and Vista 64 and when I try to send an email mail
merge (in Word) in HTML the emails never go out. If I do it in Plain
Text it works but pops up a security dialog box for each email. I
have seen that others have had this problem, but have seen no
solutions. I have both Word and Outlook 2007. I have spent a lot of
time trying to search for help to no avail.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Adrianbass Adrianbass is offline

One last post to help others. At work our technical support person knew that
I used both Outlook (for work) and another email software (Eudora for home).
He told me to go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Programs to
set Outlook as my default email. In Vista this actually takes you to a
Control Panel program where you can set default programs. I set Outlook to
be my default email and the next time I did an email merge through Word the
HTML emails actually went out. I no longer need to use the MAPILAB kit.