Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Owl1 Owl1 is offline

Default Word Clipboard Toolbar Always Docks Itself

Tony,

Many thanks for your thoughtful suggestions. I've now tried everything I can
think of and have given up trying to use Word 2000 any more. The endless
stubborn docking behavior of the Clipboard toolbar, in document after
document, got to be too frustrating, so I installed Word 2003 (Office 2003
Standard Edition), replacing Word 2000 in the process. I was and still am
hopeful that the new-to-me Clipboard tool pane will work better.

I'm not sure at this point that Word 2003 is going to help me much more than
my old disabled Word 2000: the Word 2003 Clipboard tool pane has about the
same limitation: once I open a document and get the task pane to display and
size it so it displays next to the text, this doesn't carry over and just
appear in subsequent documents that I open. For each one, I have to double
click on the icon in the taskbar to get the pane to appear (a pain). -- Do
you know of a way to get Word 2003 automaticaly to display the Clipboard task
pane in all document windows?

Thank you again for your good attempts to help with Word 2000.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I'm sorry we couldn't sort your problem out but, unable to duplicate it, all
I could do was keep guessing.

I think you'll find Word 2003 an overall improvement on Word 2000. The Task
Pane does work in a different way from the earlier toolbar but its position
should be remembered, although Word will, itself move it if it deems it in
the way of your work.

There is an option on the Tools Options View tab, "Windows in Taskbar".
By default it is checked and, when checked, Word 2003 shows multiple open
documents, each in a separate window (on the taskbar, not surprisingly) as
Word 2000 did. When the box is unchecked, Word 2003 displays multiple open
documents in separate windows within the single Word window on the Taskbar,
in the way Word 97 did. The reason for mentioning this is that the option
also affects the way the Task Pane is displayed.

The Task Pane is displayed relative to the Word window in the Taskbar so, if
you have "Windows in Taskbar" set, then each time you open a new document
you open up a new taskbar window, and the Task Pane is re-initialised (how,
depends on the "Startup Task Pane" option, also on the Tools Options
View tab). If you have that option unchecked, then new documents open up
within the existing Word (taskbar) window and the Task Pane remains where it
was.

Let us know how you get on, and do come back if you have any further
questions.

--
Enjoy,
Tony