Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bolalia Bolalia is offline

Default Unwanted page break in Word

Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end of a
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set to
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

There are many reasons but the most common is that the paragraphs have been
formatted with Keep Lines Together (possibly Keep with Next) and are
therefore breaking across the page in order to keep together.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set to
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bolalia Bolalia is offline

Thank you Terry but that is not the reason. I have checked this. At a
certain point - about mid-page - it doesn't matter whether it is in the
middle of a paragraph or at the end of a paragraph on all pages in the
document, except for the first page, the text goes to the following page. If
there is a footer, the footer line appears at the mid -page point but the
footer still goes to the bottom of the page. I have disiplayed the
formatting at the end of the line, on the paragraph mark etc and cannot see
anything abnormal. There is nothing in the page setup that could cause it
either. I noted in another post you mentioned, I think, displaying hidden
characters or something similar by increasing magnification of the page but I
don't know how to do this. Word version is 2003.

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set to
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Ah! Open the Footer with non-printing characters displayed. I bet there is
an empty box or empty para breaks in the footer.

Terry

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end
of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in
document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bolalia Bolalia is offline

Thanks Terry - it was late at night when I wrote last and I typed "footer"
instead of "footnote". There are lots of paragraph marks below the footnote
line and the footnote but it has also occurred where there isn't a footnote.
I will, however, check the non-print characters. I hope you do this by just
using the "show all" button.

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end
of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in
document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bolalia Bolalia is offline

Further to last, checked the footer and there is nothing untoward there - no
additonal paragraph marks.

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end
of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in
document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It defnitely sounds like there is something, probably an empty Textbox in
the primary footer of the document. What happens if you go to the Page
Setup dialog and, on the Layout tab, if the Different First Page box is
checked, uncheck it. Does the same thing then happen on the first page? If
so, it confirms that there is something in the footer that is causing the
page break.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the end of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is set to
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

So let's confirm what you are observing...

The page breaks in the middle where a FOOTNOTE line appears and the FOOTNOTE
line is a long way above the Footnote itself?

Terry

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in the page and not at the
end
of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is
set
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from first page in
document
where page break is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the first page. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Harris-Stoertz Robert Harris-Stoertz is offline

You guys didn't solve this one, did you?

I seem to have the same problem in a single, possibly corrupted,
document, using Word 2007.

After inserting a single footnote, the footnote space on all preceding
pages occupies nearly the entire page, leaving barely room for a line
of text between the header and the footnote space. The footnote itself
is positioned at the bottom of the space, visually where it should be,
but the space above it is occupied by a bunch of paragraph marks that
cannot be selected. These paragraph marks do not appear on the
preceding pages. Pages following are not affected.

A single footnote appears capable of turning a ten-page document into
hundreds of pages.

If I insert a second footnote, it again has all the inaccessible
paragraph marks above it.

If I select the whole document using CTRL+A and paste into a new blank
document, it works correctly in the new document. Even if the
selection included the messed-up footnotes, they appears correctly
when pasted into a blank document.

If I use CTRL+A and delete the document contents, then insert a
footnote, it is not correct. If I delete header and footer contents
with CTRL+X, and insert a footnote, it is not correct. If I use REMOVE
HEADER and REMOVE FOOTER, footnotes are still wrong.

If I save as Word 97-2003 or RTF, footnotes are not correct.

All I can conclude is the document is corrupted somehow.

Robert

On Aug 6, 12:58*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
If so, seehttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm

--
Suzanne S. BarnhillMicrosoftMVP (Word)
Words into Type

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in thepageand not at the
end
of
paragraph. *Widow and orphan control is checked. *Line spacing is
set
Multiple - 1.2. *I have tried pasting format from firstpagein
document
wherepagebreak is normal but this doesn't work. *The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the firstpage. *i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Harris-Stoertz Robert Harris-Stoertz is offline

Thank you, Suzanne!

You are precisely right that the footnote separator had been edited.
Sorry you had to give the same reference twice. The unwanted paragraph
marks were below the separator line, and must have been added as a
work-around not by me or even the person I am helping, but by some
unknown person in the past. These sorts of problems are picked up when
we trade documents between organizations and use them as templates for
unrelated purposes.

I have been using your excellent help for quite a few years now, and
feel like I practically know you.

All the best!
Robert

Have you edited the footnote separator? Seehttp://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm

"Bolalia" wrote in message
Have a document that is breaking mid way in thepageand not at the
end
of
paragraph. Widow and orphan control is checked. Line spacing is
set
Multiple - 1.2. I have tried pasting format from firstpagein
document
wherepagebreak is normal but this doesn't work. The problem is
occurring
through the document apart from the firstpage. i have checked the
formatting in the style bar but there is nothing untoward
showing.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm glad that worked for you. I wasn't aware that I'd given the same
reference twice--we were out of the country for three weeks, so there were a
lot of dropped threads when we got back.