Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jared jared is offline

Default TOC in Word 2002

I have formatted all of the desired headings into either Header or Heading 1.
When I create the TOC it doesn't bring in the Header entries. Can anyone
help with this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The Header style is intended for use in the page header; it is a Body Text
level style, so it won't be automatically included. You can change the
outline level to Level 1, Level 2, or whatever, but it would be more
straightforward just to use the built-in heading styles (Heading 1, Heading
2, etc.) instead. Note also that text in the page header, regardless of
style, is never included in the TOC.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jared" wrote in message
I have formatted all of the desired headings into either Header or Heading
1.
When I create the TOC it doesn't bring in the Header entries. Can anyone
help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jared jared is offline

Okay I understand that. Could you please then tell me how to create breaks in
a TOC so that I can add verbage from the Header to help the TOC flow properly.

"Jared" wrote in message
I have formatted all of the desired headings into either Header or Heading
1.
When I create the TOC it doesn't bring in the Header entries. Can anyone
help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I don't understand what you mean exactly. If your TOC section includes a
header, it will appear automatically on every page of the TOC.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jared" wrote in message
I have formatted all of the desired headings into either Header or
Heading
1.
When I create the TOC it doesn't bring in the Header entries. Can
anyone
help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jared jared is offline

I have titles that are currently in the actual header of the page. They
represent the large sections of a document. I am trying to get those titles
in the TOC and they will not transfer in. Based on your comments in the
first response these will not appear in the TOC since they are in the headers
of the pages of the documents. Is there a way to add breaks in the TOC so
that I can phyically type these section titles into the TOC where they
belong? Or is there any other way to get these added to the TOC that is
automatically created by Word.

"Jared" wrote in message
I have formatted all of the desired headings into either Header or
Heading
1.
When I create the TOC it doesn't bring in the Header entries. Can
anyone
help with this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You would be better advised to put the headings in the document body in the
usual way and then use StyleRef fields to put them in the page headers as
required. But if you insist on doing it the hard way, you can bookmark each
major portion of the document and then insert a TOC for each bookmark, with
your major headings interspersed.

http://word.mvps.org