Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark

Default Reverting to "same as previous"

We are experiencing a problem with footers reverting back to "same as
previous" even though this option has been turned off in the sections and the
footers were physically changed to something else. The file was saved,
closed, and when re-opened we discovered the problem. It didn't happen to
all the sections, just some of them and it has happened to different people
on different computers with different documents.

Any thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi

Do these documents have a common ancestry? Were they created from the same
template, or created from one another using File Save As? If the documents
share a common history, then there may be some corruption either in the
template or in the 'base' document from which the others were generated
using File Save As. Corruption of Word documents often manifests itself
first in headers and footers.

If this is likely, then follow the instructions he
How can I recover a corrupt document or template - and why did it become
corrupt?
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"songinthedark" wrote in message
We are experiencing a problem with footers reverting back to "same as
previous" even though this option has been turned off in the sections and
the
footers were physically changed to something else. The file was saved,
closed, and when re-opened we discovered the problem. It didn't happen to
all the sections, just some of them and it has happened to different
people
on different computers with different documents.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark

Thanks Shauna. I'll try your suggestion below. They were created from the
same template but there are others who are using this template, creating
documents and not having this problem. I would have expected an all or
nothing scenario if the template was corrupt. Is this incorrect thinking?

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi

An all or nothing scenario would sound sensible. But I wonder whether, say,
Document A was created from the template and it somehow acquired a problem.
And then maybe the other problem documents were created as the children of
Document A (eg created with File Save As). Maybe even they had some
offending bit of text copied into them from Document A.

In any case, if the technique described at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm solves the problem,
then you have good evidence that there was some corruption in the document.

Shauna

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
songinthedark

Thanks for the link to the corrupt template explanation. Apparently some of
my people have been using Document Map and other ill-advised features. We
didn't know of the problems with them until I started reading all the
literature.
I appreciate your help!

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi

For what it's worth, I use Document Map in Word 2002 and 2003 with no
problems at all. I find it very useful. But I won't turn it on in Word 2000
or before, because I've had it crash documents on me more times than I care
to remember.