Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pwdennis2 pwdennis2 is offline

Default How do I change indentation of the footnote separator line?

I'm using Word 2007. I changed my Normal style in one document so that the
first line indent is .5". Now my footnote separator line also indents .5"
even though I want it to be flush left. (When I change Normal style back to
no indentation, the footnote separator line goes back flush left too.)

I can't select the line and can't find a way to control its indentation
separately from the Normal style.

Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, here's how it works in 2003; perhaps you can figure out 2007 from
that.

1. Switch to Normal (Draft) view.

2. View Footnotes.

3. In the footnote pane, click the arrow in the dropdown box and select
Footnote Separator.

4. Remove the indent.

A better solution, of course, would be not to modify Normal style in this
way; since virtually all styles are based on Normal, you do get this
trickle-down effect (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sCascade.html). A better
approach is to leave Normal alone, use Body Text for your body text, and
modify it (see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...odyStyles.htm).

"pwdennis2" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2007. I changed my Normal style in one document so that the
first line indent is .5". Now my footnote separator line also indents .5"
even though I want it to be flush left. (When I change Normal style back

no indentation, the footnote separator line goes back flush left too.)

I can't select the line and can't find a way to control its indentation
separately from the Normal style.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
pwdennis2 pwdennis2 is offline

Brilliant! That took all of 10 seconds.

Thank you! (And thanks for the good advice about Normal vs. Body Text.)

"pwdennis2" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2007. I changed my Normal style in one document so that the
first line indent is .5". Now my footnote separator line also indents .5"
even though I want it to be flush left. (When I change Normal style back

no indentation, the footnote separator line goes back flush left too.)

I can't select the line and can't find a way to control its indentation
separately from the Normal style.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ALA1 ALA1 is offline

I think I love you! I, too, made the mistake of changing the "normal" style.
It changed every footnote in my dissertation. Thanks, too for the tip on
'Body' vs 'Normal'

YOU RULE!

"pwdennis2" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2007. I changed my Normal style in one document so that the
first line indent is .5". Now my footnote separator line also indents .5"
even though I want it to be flush left. (When I change Normal style back

no indentation, the footnote separator line goes back flush left too.)

I can't select the line and can't find a way to control its indentation
separately from the Normal style.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm glad you got it sorted, but the post you replied to is obviously a very
old one; for future reference, I now have an article about the subject
(which also covers Word 2007) at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/NoteSeparators.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, here's how it works in 2003; perhaps you can figure out 2007 from
that.

1. Switch to Normal (Draft) view.

2. View Footnotes.

3. In the footnote pane, click the arrow in the dropdown box and select
Footnote Separator.

4. Remove the indent.

A better solution, of course, would be not to modify Normal style in this
way; since virtually all styles are based on Normal, you do get this
trickle-down effect (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sCascade.html). A better
approach is to leave Normal alone, use Body Text for your body text, and
modify it (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...odyStyles.htm).

so
all may benefit.