JS in KC

Default AutoText Entries

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John
gap

I"m not sure if I understand your predicament but in my computer (Word 2003)
I placed some AutoText Entries (via InsertAutoText) and set the "look in"
box to "all active templates" and it comes up in any/all documents.

Instead of placing the autotext entry in the Normal.dot try placing it in
"all active templates". See if that works.

gap

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

JS in KC

Gap,

OK, step by step...
Created new Word document
Entered "Texas"
Selected Texas, chose Insert: AutoText: AutoText
The "Lookin" says "All Active Templates"
Entered abbreviation "tx" and cicked Add

Now I can type "tx," press F3 and I get "Texas."
Close and save the Word document and start a new one
Enter "tx" and press F3: nothing. The AutoText entry is gone
Open the Word Document where I entered the AutoText entry. It's unavailable
there also.

I tried the process again and changed the "Look In" to Normal.dot. The
AutoText entry didn't work at all!

John

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

Charles Kenyon

Have your AT entry names be at least four characters in length, preferably a
unique first four letters.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

news

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a
new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one,
the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

CyberTaz

Hi JS-

Am not sure this will help, but it covers just about all the bases.

http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm

What you may need to do is rename your Normal.dot (while Word is *not*
running), launch Word so it will create a new Normal.dot based on defaults,
and then use ToolsTemplates and Add-Ins to copy your Autotext, macros, etc.
to the new Normal.

HTH |:)

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

JS in KC

CyberTaz,

Been there, too. No luck. It's weird: when I create an autotext entry, I can
choose Tools: Templates and Add-Ins, click on Organizer. It shows me that
"para1" (the autotext entry I just created is available in Normal.dot But
when I close the document and start a new one, it's not there anymore.

I checked the modification date on Normal.dot and it shows a time early this
morning (when I edited it and added an autotext entry). Should it actually be
"modified" whenever you create new autotext entry?

The only way I can get an autotext entry to be available in a new Word
document is to edit Normal.dot and create the autotext entry there.

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

Charles Kenyon

You are saying that you went to
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm, followed the instructions,
and created your own separate global template and that didn't work?
--

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create
a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while
I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new
one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the
old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were
transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in
other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

gap

Using Wood 2003 - via InsertAuto Text - after adding autotext/autocomplete
to list, my instructions say "to accept the Autocomplete suggestion, press
enter. I did that and it now comes up in all documents. The "look in box" is
still set to "all active templates".

gap

"JS in KC" wrote:

Since upgrading to Office 2003 Professional Edition, when I create a new
AutoText entry, it is only available in the current document, while I'm
working on that document. If I close the document and start a new one, the
AutoText entry is not availalble.

I am using the Normal.dot template. When we upgraded, all of the old
AutoText entries I had in my previous version of Word were transferred
automatically. I just can't create new ones that are available in other
documents, UNLESS I open Normal.dot and create them there.

John

Autocomplete for autotext not working? Dawn Rhoads Microsoft Word Help 1 April 14th 05 01:04 AM
Where are Word 97 personal Autotext entries stored? spinning pig Microsoft Word Help 1 February 15th 05 01:15 PM
simple word question rvance New Users 8 February 1st 05 02:16 AM
Autotext entries all network users can access netbibby Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 06:02 AM
How do I restore accidently deleted AutoText entries? Scrub Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 08:13 PM