Rusty in Nashua

Default How do I insert the document filepath into a document? Word 2003

In previous editions, I frequently used the cmd: Insert, Autotext,
Header/Footer to get to a "filepath" cmd for easy insertion into a document
for later reference. I don't see it in Word 2003? What alternative?
Carol

View | Header and Footer | Insert Auto Text

"Rusty in Nashua" wrote:

In previous editions, I frequently used the cmd: Insert, Autotext,
Header/Footer to get to a "filepath" cmd for easy insertion into a document
for later reference. I don't see it in Word 2003? What alternative?

Jay Freedman

Rusty in Nashua wrote:
In previous editions, I frequently used the cmd: Insert, Autotext,
Header/Footer to get to a "filepath" cmd for easy insertion into a
document for later reference. I don't see it in Word 2003? What
alternative?

The AutoText entry named "Filename and path" is defined in the Normal.dot
template when you install Word, in all versions including 2003. Possibly
your template has been damaged or that entry was accidentally deleted.

If it's just that one entry that's missing, recreate it this way:

- In a new blank document, go to Insert Field. Select "Filename" in the
list on the left, and check the box for "Add path to filename" on the right.
Click OK.

- When the filename appears in the document (in an unsaved document, it will
be something like Document1), double-click it to select it.

- Press Alt+F3. In the dialog that appears, type "Filename and path"
(without the quotes). Click OK.

- The next time you exit Word, if it asks whether to save changes to
Normal.dot, say yes. (Note: If you have Acrobat 7 installed, it may prevent
updates to Normal.dot. See the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm to fix that.)

If you find that other items are also missing, or there are other
unexplained problems, your Normal.dot may be damaged. See "Creating a new
Normal.dot from scratch" in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm to fix that.

--
Regards,