KAM

Default Autotext and copying to Normal.dot

I am pretty sure what I need to do can't be done, but perhaps someone can
give me a better direction.

I have a template that is provided to a customer. The customer uses my
template on existing documents to do all sorts of things. The template is
never "attached" to the document. I am able to copy my styles over to the
document.

One of the items that needs to be done deals with AutoText. I have a command
that places an Autotext entry into the document. I have the Autotext saved in
my template, but I cannot get it to save to the existing document. I now
realize that the autotext entry must be saved to the user's Normal.dot.

The problem is that I do not (and cannot) know where each of the users are
using the Normal.dot from. I will not have any direct contact with these
customers and they are in a different city.

In vba, how can I copy the autotext to the user's normal.dot - wherever it
is. Also, since I really don't want to be doing that anyway, is there any
other idea on how to use the autotext?

My thought is maybe I will have to attach the existing template to the
document anyway.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks so much.

You need to save the AutoText entry in the template you are providing to the
customer. If that template is loaded as a global template (by being placed
in Word's Startup folder), the AutoText entry will be available to all
documents. It sounds to me as if document templates might be more
appropriate, however, if you're providing styles.

"KAM" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

You can put your AutoText and related macros in a separate global template
and not mess with your users' normal.dot files. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc. See
http://www.addbalance.com/word/downl...#CheckboxAddIn for an example of
how to use a global template that incorporates macros and AutoText. See
http://addbalance.com/word/stylesheet.htm for thoughts on using a global
template to distribute styles.
--

Charles Kenyon