Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SalemCat SalemCat is offline

Default MS Word 2007 How do I add TTF fonts ? I have a CD full of them.

MS Word 2007 How do I add TTF fonts ? I have a CD full of them.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Did you put the CD in and see what happens?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"SalemCat" wrote in message
MS Word 2007 How do I add TTF fonts ? I have a CD full of them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Fonts are installed to the operating system. Once they're installed, Word
will use them, as will most other programs that let you change fonts.

As JoAnn suggest, you can insert the CD and see what happens. Alternatively,
in the Control Panel, open the Fonts control and choose File - Install New
Font.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"SalemCat" wrote in message
MS Word 2007 How do I add TTF fonts ? I have a CD full of them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SalemCat SalemCat is offline

The CD is a Greenstreet Fonts from the Win 98 (maybe 95) era. So although
there were no error messages the Autorun did not seem to be sucessful.

On the other hand, your suggestion to use the FONTS icon in the Control
Panel worked fine. This was a DUHH moment for me. Your answer was clear, and
should have been obvious to me (but wasn't).

Sadly, despite several searches thru the Windows Help system, MS could not
provide any answer. But you sure did !!

Do you think having 2000 fonts loaded are going to cause any trouble in a
Vista Ultimate system running under a Core 2 Duo E6600 and 2 GB DDR2 ? (I
hope not)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

I have many fonts and now and then I get some message notifying me that I
have more than 500. Everything seems to work fine tho. On my other computer
(XP Pro) I had about 900 fonts with no problems.

Having said that - do you *REALLY* think you need that many fonts? This
question is coming from an admitted font-aholic. Honestly, 2000 is a bit
overboard.

--

"SalemCat" wrote in message
The CD is a Greenstreet Fonts from the Win 98 (maybe 95) era. So although
there were no error messages the Autorun did not seem to be sucessful.

On the other hand, your suggestion to use the FONTS icon in the Control
Panel worked fine. This was a DUHH moment for me. Your answer was clear,
and
should have been obvious to me (but wasn't).

Sadly, despite several searches thru the Windows Help system, MS could not
provide any answer. But you sure did !!

Do you think having 2000 fonts loaded are going to cause any trouble in a
Vista Ultimate system running under a Core 2 Duo E6600 and 2 GB DDR2 ? (I
hope not)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SalemCat SalemCat is offline

Hi JoAnn !

Of course I'll never use more than 20 fonts or so. But which ones ? If I
install them all I can pick and choose.

The CD has 2000, and I don't think I'll be tempted to buy any more.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is some overhead to having that many fonts. When you choose a Font
dropdown in Word, for example, it takes time to populate the list. At one
point, I was a fan of "more is better." Now, however, I have the default
fonts that come with various programs I've installed. But, unless I need
something for a project/client, I don't bother.

It's a lot like cable versus over-the-air programming. Way back when I had
10 channels to choose from, it took about 2 minutes to quickly determine
that there was nothing on worth watching. When I had 160 cable channels, it
took an hour to reach the identical conclusion.

Now that we don't have cable, I save a lot of time. ;-)

--

"SalemCat" wrote in message
The CD is a Greenstreet Fonts from the Win 98 (maybe 95) era. So although
there were no error messages the Autorun did not seem to be sucessful.

On the other hand, your suggestion to use the FONTS icon in the Control
Panel worked fine. This was a DUHH moment for me. Your answer was clear,
and
should have been obvious to me (but wasn't).

Sadly, despite several searches thru the Windows Help system, MS could not
provide any answer. But you sure did !!

Do you think having 2000 fonts loaded are going to cause any trouble in a
Vista Ultimate system running under a Core 2 Duo E6600 and 2 GB DDR2 ? (I
hope not)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SalemCat SalemCat is offline

Thanks Herb !