Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pam Pam is offline

Default How do i mail merge using excel spreadsheats

I am very new to mail merge. I have managed the basics but I am stuck on the
bit where I select the recipients. I tried to use an existing client list
from a excel spreadsheet but when I tried printing the letters the clients
name and address did not come on the letter. On the spreadsheet I have got
the clients name and full address, the clients name is under column A, 1st
line of address is under B, 3rd line under C .... but when I print the letter
I get the clients name and then just 2 of the columns only. example:
Mr Smith
Chesterfield
Derbyshire

How do I get all of the address onto the letter? Also I want to put Dear Mr
Smith after the address but I cant get the salution on when I merge from an
excel doc.

Initially I created a new recipient list and this seemed to work fine, this
has been saved as a mailing database in my documents. I cant open the file
though. Does anyone know why? Its under data source and when I click on the
mdb icon it says windows cannot open the file.
I need some sort of client list that everyone in the office can have access
to which is why I thought an excel spreadsheet would be good. Im on word 2003

Thanks, Pam

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

An Excel address list will work fine (as will a Word table). You just have
to think logically about what information you may want to extract from the
list in order to produce the types of documents you require eg you may have
the following fields/columns

First_Name
Last_Name
Title
Job_Title
First_Initial
Initials
House_Number
Street
Address Line 2
City
Post_Code
Phone
Fax
EMail
etc

or you could use Outlook to store your client data and merge from Outlook -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm a useful primer for
mail merge (not simply labels).

Pam wrote:
[...]

brainout brainout is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post
An Excel address list will work fine (as will a Word table). You just have
to think logically about what information you may want to extract from the
list in order to produce the types of documents you require eg you may have
the following fields/columns

or you could use Outlook to store your client data and merge from Outlook -
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

You may find http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm a useful primer for
mail merge (not simply labels).

Since my question is similar, it seemed better to bump this thread rather than start a new topic. Here it's a bit more sophisticated. I run my actuarial pension business around old Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.01 spreadsheets, in DOS window, in XP. Run mail merges in DOS (window) with Multimate Advantage II, using Borland Sidekick as a kind of script to make the merge work. Because XP can't handle Sidekick, I print the merges from a 486. Would like to modernize this procedure.

Over the years, I've had to migrate the rest of the practice to Windows, which means Word. Can't get the right formatting I want in Multimate, so since the 1990's have been trying to figure out how to make Word 'read' the spreadsheet database. I can only get it to read sequentially. That's too much hassle, so have kept using DOS machines to do the merge.

However, After reading your articles here in your quote, the following idea struck me:

1. Import the 1-2-3 worksheet into Excel 2002 (latest version which I want to use, because it reads wk1 files). Lying 'underneath' the import, is the exact same layout (all my spreadsheets have the same layout), but formatted for Excel. So all the same range names, macros (which don't work in Excel), etc. as in the worksheet I just imported.

2. COPY FORMULAS into the underlying worksheet, so that it ends up having the same values, too.

3. Lying ON TOP (i.e., sheet1 renamed to whatever), are separate databases which 'read' the bottom-most Excel formatted sheet columns. Each such database is formatted and ordered and named to correspond to the merge document field names I'll have in my Word documents. In sequence, if necessary, which means a lot of redundancy.

RESULTS:

A. So if one of the merge documents is a participant 401k or Defined Benefit benefit statement for the plan year, it will extract data from that topmost sheet's range for that statement.

B. So for the Summary Plan Description merge document, it will only extract data from its own other range also in the topmost sheet's range for the SPD.

C. So for the Summary Annual Report, it will only extract data from the Summary Annual Report range, again from that topmost sheet's range.

All this data is actually in the Lotus 1-2-3 worksheet, but since Word can't access that sheet directly, and can't read it either from the massive duplicate in the bottom-most sheet in Excel, it seems I have to create multiple smaller ranges in another sheet within the workbook, in order to get the merge to work at all.

I'm not even sure the above will work, and wondered if you'd care to opine. Thank you for whatever time you care to spend on reply!