Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
wayoflight

Default How to Insert the «Next Record» Command?

I actually would like to know how do you teh part were you metnioned the
reversing of the text while utilizing Word tent format.
thanks so much,

"jc@greenbluff" wrote:

Hi there,

I have an Excel Worksheet (2002) that I am using to merge names from into
Word 2002. The Tent Cards are for a large dinner party (220 guests).

These cards are to be (folded in half) and read from both sides therefore
I need to print ½ of each card upside down. The card stock is a typical
Geographics / Avery product their on-line templates only have a name on one
side. The product is 4 up on a 8.5 X 11 page (5.5 X 4.25 X 4)

Now, Ive actually got this working; Set a test page in Landscape, created a
single row, 2-cell borderless table, inserted text boxes and set the text in
opposite vertical directions (one bottom to top and one top to bottom). (I
got that from word.mvps.org Thank You VERY MUCH - I then inserted the
Insert Word Fields (A-FName B-LName and B-FName B-LName) and this all works
fine.

The Problem: Each Word has 4 of these cards on a page - and Word inserts the
SAME field information in all 4 cards on the page. The 2nd page inserts the
2nd row of data name entry from the Excel Worksheet.

Reading the Word help files I get that I need to insert a Next Record»
field command. However, wherever I try to place that command I get a Word
error that says I cant place that command in comments, headers, footers,
footnotes or endnotes, none of which I am attempting to insert it.

The Merge Text Fields are inside of Text Boxs - that are inside of a Table
Cell 8 on the page 2 Cells per card.

I have tried to insert the Next Record» command at the end of the 2nd
name field, at the beginning of the 1st name field, and in between the four
tables on the page. Nothing seems to work.

I would post an attachment, but read that is not desired.

Thank you for your time!

--
John Charleston

509 238-9468

More about me:

http://198.202.31.73/jcworld.htm
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I replied to that post as follows, but I don't know whether my suggestion
was tried or worked:

One thing you can do is assign all the mergefields to bookmarks /outside/
the text boxes, then use references to the bookmarks inside the text boxes.

E.g. suppose you just had two fields called a and b, and two text boxes.

In the first paragraph of the document put

{ SET a1 { MERGEFIELD a } }{ SET b1 { MERGEFIELD b } }{ NEXT }{ SET a2 {
MERGEFIELD a } }{ SET b2 { MERGEFIELD b } }

Then in the first textbox use

{ a1 } { b1 }

or

{ REF a1 } { REF b1 }

and in the second textbox use

{ a2 } { b2 }

or

{ REF a2 } { REF b2 }

--
Peter Jamieson

"jc@greenbluff" wrote:

Hi there,

I have an Excel Worksheet (2002) that I am using to merge names from into
Word 2002. The "Tent Cards" are for a large dinner party (220 guests).

These cards are to be (folded in half) and read from both sides -
therefore
I need to print of each card upside down. The card stock is a typical