Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
antares antares is offline

Default how to convert word to excel and vice versa

Hi
Could you pls advise me some software that I can convert word documents to
excel and vice versa?
Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 09:38:01 -0700, antares
wrote:

Hi
Could you pls advise me some software that I can convert word documents to
excel and vice versa?
Thank you

You cannot "convert" between the two file formats.

What you can do is select part or all of an Excel worksheet, copy it to the
clipboard, and use Paste Special in Word to put it into the document as a
plain-text table or as a linked object.

Similarly, you can copy a table from Word to the clipboard and paste it into
Excel, which will automatically match up the cells.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
antares antares is offline

Jay thanks for your quicj reply...but
what is "Paste Special"... I know just ordinary copy-paste...

Thanks

wrote:

Hi
Could you pls advise me some software that I can convert word documents to
excel and vice versa?
Thank you

You cannot "convert" between the two file formats.

What you can do is select part or all of an Excel worksheet, copy it to the
clipboard, and use Paste Special in Word to put it into the document as a
plain-text table or as a linked object.

Similarly, you can copy a table from Word to the clipboard and paste it into
Excel, which will automatically match up the cells.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

In Word 2003 or earlier, Paste Special is a choice on the Edit menu. In Word
2007, click the down arrow on the Paste button on the Home ribbon and choose
Paste Special from the dropdown menu.

In either case, the dialog will let you choose from "Microsoft Office Excel
Worksheet Object" (a linked object that will update when you change the data in
Excel), "Formatted Text (RTF)" which creates a Word table, "Unformatted Text"
which creates tab-separated text, and various kinds of graphics.