Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil Jan Kratochvil is offline

Default Captions in cross references not displayed

I edit the large document with captions.
My problem is that I do not see the certain caption name by the cross
references.
Is ther any possibility how to repair it?

I need to make a refferences in my text to those captions.

I have that caption by my images and change with another caption is not easy
for me - waste of time.

Thanks

--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the caption is in a text box, Word will not see it for purposes of
cross-referencing or listing it in a Table of Figures. Either make the
caption inline or change the text box to a frame.

"Jan Kratochvil" wrote in message
I edit the large document with captions.
My problem is that I do not see the certain caption name by the cross
references.
Is ther any possibility how to repair it?

I need to make a refferences in my text to those captions.

I have that caption by my images and change with another caption is not
easy
for me - waste of time.

Thanks

--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
WIN XP Pro SP2, Office 2007 SP 1

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil Jan Kratochvil is offline

It could be the problem I think.
Because all worked well till the moment I have sent the document for some
changes to my colleague and after receiving this doc back I have found that
issue.

What should you recommend now how to solve my problem?
--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
WIN XP Pro SP2, Office 2007 SP 1

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Unfortunately, caption labels are not saved with the document but instead in
the template (or is it in the Registry). If you move the document to another
machine, it will lose the caption labels.

"Jan Kratochvil" wrote in message
Yes. I have created a my captions using Insert | Reference | Caption, but
now I cannot see it inside the caption list as well.

Maybe I will need to replace all that captions with new captions with the
same or similar name or?

--
Regards
Jan Kratochvil
WIN XP Pro SP2, Office 2007 SP 1

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you create the caption label using the Insert | Reference | Caption
dialog? Only captions created that way will be displayed in the
Cross-reference dialog.

"Jan Kratochvil" wrote in
message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcdrumm lcdrumm is offline

What if I originally work on a document.... I make a caption label "Table 5-"
I add a number of captions with the tool (eg. Table 5-1 Yearly Stats,
Table 5-2 Monthly Stats, etc). Then I add a number of cross-references to
the document.

Then someone else also works on the document... they create an identical
caption label for their machine "Table 5-" Then they add a caption (eg.
Table 5-3 Weekly Stats) and maybe a few references too.

Now... I am trying to update the same document further... I still have my
caption label, and in the document all of the captions are still in-tact and
the cross references are in-tact. However, the list of captions does not
appear in the cross-reference dialog box anymore.

I think this is similar to Jan's problem ... unless Jan's issue is actually
losing the caption label from the document (eg. "Table 5-1 Yearly Stats" is
now showing up as "1 Yearly Stats")

I, like Jan, am also afraid that I will have to replace all of the captions
in order to make new cross-references. Is this common?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Kratochvil Jan Kratochvil is offline

I remember, I had the same problem several months ago.
I solved it with Find and Replace function in Word.
With Alt+F9 I have displayed all the fields.
I have created the new caption with the similar name and replaced step by
step my old not worked captions.
I have found it as the quickest possibility, how to solve my problems.

HTH

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW, ordinarily you wouldn't be creating such a caption label. You would be
using the built-in Table label and using "Include chapter number" to add the
5. I assume from your description that you're working on a document that
contains only a single chapter of a larger document?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lcdrumm lcdrumm is offline

That is correct. I am working on a stand-alone document now. But in the
future it will be incorporated into a larger document. Not really as a
chapter, more of an appendix I guess.