Jack Sheet

Default Overcoming irritating feature - file open dialog box disappears

I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
1) The selected file is opened, and
2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have filtered
using the same criteria as before.
It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so that
the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
to close it?

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

CyberTaz

Hi Jack-

You don't mention which version of Word, but if '03 or XP have you tried
going to the Tools menu in the Open File dialog box and using the
SearchAdvanced feature?

HTH |:)

"Jack Sheet" wrote:

I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
1) The selected file is opened, and
2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have filtered
using the same criteria as before.
It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so that
the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
to close it?

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

TF

Jack

When you say File Open, do you mean the File Open dialog or the Task Pane
(usually clinging to the right side of the Window)? If you mean Task Pane,
then you need the Task Pane Controller Add-in from he
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...owTaskPane.htm

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
:I click on File Open and a dialog box appears.
: I filter the displayed file names using a selection of wild cards.
: I open one of the displayed files, which has two effects:
: 1) The selected file is opened, and
: 2) The File Open dialog box disappears.
: I find the second of these effects to be undesirable, because frequently I
: have at a later point to open another file from a list that I have
filtered
: using the same criteria as before.
: It is a small thing, I know, but it is it possible to configure Word so
that
: the "file open" dialog box closes only when expressly prompted by the user
: to close it?
:
: --
: Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears
:
:

Larry

Another possibility is opening the Windows folder that contains the
documents. The folder will of course stay open until you close it.

Larry

"Jack Sheet" wrote in message
[...]

Tilde and Dollar Sign in Open Dialog Box Bernard Littman New Users 4 April 23rd 23 02:55 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Word File Open and Save Dialog Boxes Places Bar Customization NDeL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 12th 05 05:27 AM
File Conversion Encoding Dialog box when you open word file Econ Microsoft Word Help 3 January 31st 05 05:54 PM
Text Recovery and Open & Repair in WD 2003? UserRAW1975 Microsoft Word Help 1 December 22nd 04 04:00 AM