Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rgille

Default Spontaneous language change from English (U.S.) to French (France)

A week ago I briefly changed (via Control Panel) my Windows XP keyboard
choices to offer both English (U.S.) and French (France) keyboards, and the
Language Bar. I quickly changed back to only English, deleted the French
keyboard alternative, and deleted the Language Bar. Today in my Word 2003
session, the double-quote key (Shift+Quote key) keeps spontaneously changing
to type a French quote mark ("sideways-chevron" with a required space). If I
look in Word's Tools Language, it shows I'm in French (France) language. I
have switched the default back to English (U.S.) via Tools Language several
times, but it immediately switches back to French. Looking in my Windows
languages/keyboards, I am only mapped to the English (U.S.) keyboard. Any
ideas how to correct this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have not already done so, clear the check box for "Automatically
detect language" in Tools | Language | Set Language in Word, and see
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

"rgille" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rgille

Default Spontaneous language change from English (U.S.) to French (Fra

The link to cindymeister Web site was particularly helpful and good info.
Clearing the check box for "Automatically Detect Language" did not initially
help. However, I eventually figured out that the problem seemed to be in one
particular document - outside of the document, I was OK. I may have
inadvertently switched keyboards when I fumbled typing in that document - I
may have hit the keystrokes for switching keyboards. I have turned off the
keyboard shortcut for that feature. Thanks! I'm also leaving the language
check boxes unchecked as recommended.