Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gwen Powell Gwen Powell is offline

Default Merging with text file

Hi,
I have a small issue that someone is sure to know the solution to. I need
data from a program (doesn't matter the program) that exports a text file
that has no field names. I need to create my Word merge that will be used
time and again that links to the txt file for the data. The format will
always be the same, but it never has field names. What can I do to make Word
merge with it when it does not have field names and seems only to use the
first record (always changing) as the field name?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gwen Powell
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You can use a separate file as the header source. The easiest way to get to
it if you are using one of the later versions of word is to add the original
Mail Merge Helper to a toolbar (or the QAT in Word 2007). In the earlier
versions, you do this by selecting Customize from the Tools menu and then
select the All Commands category and scroll down through the list of
commands until you come to the Mail Merge Helper item and then click and
drag it onto a toolbar. When you use the Helper to create a mail merge, in
step 2, select the "Header Options" item from the "Get Data" pulldown.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP