Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jKingsGirl jKingsGirl is offline

Default How can I change the format of data source?

I created a data base in the Word mail merge but I am unable to really access
it or send it to others. Is there a way to reformat it so that it can be
accessed on another computer and possibly printed?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you're using Word 2002 or 2003 then the database is an Access/Jet
database with a .mdb extension. If you have Access /or Excel/, you can make
a copy of it, then open the copy and use Access's facilities to export the
data into a number of formats.

I would not work with the original, because Access then modifies the .mdb in
a way that makes it more difficult to use as a Word data source.

Alternatively, make a new mail merge main document in Word, specify that it
is a "Catalog" or "Directory" merge, then specify your existing data source
as the data source for the new merge. In the mail merge main document,
create a 1-row table with as many columns as you used in the data source
(you can only have up to around 63 columns in a Word table) and insert one
merge field in each cell.

Make sure there is nothing else in your document except that table. Merge to
a new document, and you have a Word table with all the data. Add a row of
column headings, then you can either provide that Word document as a data
source, or e.g. use "Table|Convert table to text" to remove the table, and
save the document in a number of other formats such as comma-delimited text
etc. (Be careful if your data has commas in it, though!)

Peter Jamieson

"jKingsGirl" wrote in message
I created a data base in the Word mail merge but I am unable to really
access
it or send it to others. Is there a way to reformat it so that it can be
accessed on another computer and possibly printed?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yourcareercoach Yourcareercoach is offline

Peter:

You asked if I had the problem solved. I have not. I am trying to test the
documents I create in Word 2002 with someone who has 2003. Then I would send
the tested documents to you for review. Please bear with me.

Editing Data source Greg Mailmerge 1 July 26th 06 12:00 AM
Do not change data source name in the main merge document. ARY Mailmerge 3 July 24th 06 11:17 PM
How do I change a mail merge to a new document ADJS Mailmerge 4 April 20th 06 04:02 PM
format text to change data in report with word 2003 Template Mary Microsoft Word Help 2 September 20th 05 10:25 PM
Number format from excel data source Lori IKEA Mailmerge 1 December 15th 04 10:14 AM