Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
AnS AnS is offline

Default Keyword count in files on my PC (DOC XLS PPT PDF)

Hi
I´m trying to organize 14000+ of important referencedocuments on my
PC. One way, I think, is to count the number of keywords (ie. survey,
geo, "Google Earth") in all my Worddocuments and for each doc get the
result (if possilble in Excel)

column1 column2 column3 column4
refdoc survey* geo* "Google Earth"
refdoc 1 17 27 7
refdoc 2 55 23 33
This tells me to look in refdoc 2 , as a very simple example.

In real life I have about 100 different keywords. Find and Replace is
OK for one or two Worddocuments, but not för 7000+ ! If I have the
result in Excel I can sort up to three columns to find the interesting
documents, even if there are thousands of documents in the worksheet.

Anybody who has any thoughts about this? Regards Anders S. Stockholm
Sweden
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Anders

AnS wrote:
I´m trying to organize 14000+ of important referencedocuments on my
PC. One way, I think, is to count the number of keywords (ie. survey,
geo, "Google Earth") in all my Worddocuments and for each doc get the
result (if possilble in Excel)

column1 column2 column3 column4
refdoc survey* geo* "Google Earth"
refdoc 1 17 27 7
refdoc 2 55 23 33
This tells me to look in refdoc 2 , as a very simple example.

In real life I have about 100 different keywords. Find and Replace is
OK for one or two Worddocuments, but not för 7000+ ! If I have the
result in Excel I can sort up to three columns to find the interesting
documents, even if there are thousands of documents in the worksheet.

in theory, anything you can do with (or: to :-)) a document, you can
also do with a folder of documents, and, by extension, a whole file server:

"Traditional" Method
How to Find & ReplaceAll on a batch of documents in the same folder (by
Ibby)
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/BatchFR.htm

"Smart" Method (from Lutz Gentkow, with INCLUDETEXT and CTRL SHIFT F7)
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=d...0kohlschein.de

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9668b9 189f4e

VBA Find and Replace (by Greg Maxey et al)
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/VBA_Find_And_Replace.htm

Batch text replacement (by Graham Mayor et al)
http://www.gmayor.com/batch_replace.htm

You don't really need to replace at all, only to count the replaces. You
really want a developer familiar with the Word OM to assist you in this!

But that would only cover the Word part. So, maybe you want to inquire
other indexing methods: most OS can index to a certain extent, there's
Google Desktop Search, and I'm sure other applications.

0.02¢
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |