Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
waite waite is offline

Default why is the space bar making a dot appear in word text on the sc.

When I use the space bar while typing in Word a period or dot appears every
time the space bar is touched. When the document is printed the dot does not
appear but I would like to be able to look at a document on the screen
without seeing a period(.) in every space
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:11:02 -0700, waite
wrote:

When I use the space bar while typing in Word a period or dot appears every
time the space bar is touched. When the document is printed the dot does not
appear but I would like to be able to look at a document on the screen
without seeing a period(.) in every space

These are nonprinting characters
(http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...rintChars.htm).

If you also see the ¶ character at the end of each paragraph, you probably have
clicked the toolbar button with that symbol -- click it again to turn it off, or
press Ctrl+Shift+8.

If all you see is the dots, that's a setting in the options dialog. In Word 2003
or earlier, click Tools Options View and uncheck the "Spaces" option. In
Word 2007, click Office button Word Options Display to find the option.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi waite,

That's so you can see how many spaces, tabs, etc, there are between words. You can toggle this aspect of the display bly clicking on
the ¶ symbol on the toolbar/ribbon.

--
Cheers
macropod