Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Applying Styles

Greetings,
I'm using Word 2003 and having a very odd time with styles.

I created a template document and used it to create about 20 documents.
During the edit process we decided to change a couple things globally. No
problem, or so I thought. I opened my template document, made the changes,
and saved it (I had to save with a different name, then delete the old one
and rename the new one)....

Now... SOME of my documents seem fine.. some don't change.. and one changed
VERY differently.

I've checked all of them for the template file and they all point to the
same one.

So I started trying to fix it.. and have used WOrd's help and am now very
confused.

First:
If I change the .dot file, should those changes be reflected in files that
use it as the template (next time I open them, I would figure)

Second:
In "Tools/Add-Ins" I see an option for 'Automatically Update Document
Styles".. what is that?

Third:
WHen I highlight a style and select "Modify" I have optoins for "Add to
Template" and "Automatically Update".. I THOUGHT they were for changes to my
document being put into the template file. True?

Fourth (here's the important one).. how the heck do I get changes made in
the Template file to be reflected in the documents? Should it be automatic
on next open, or do I have to have a setting enabled?

Thanks,

Shane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Suzanne,
Thanks, for that bit. I'd learned a lot about styles on an MVP site, but
this bit was a good chunk I'd not read before. I like the 'genetics'
references, very apt.

So, I THINK I have it down... sorta.

If I use Format Styles to update a style... and enable the "Automatically
Update" then it will, in THAT document, update ALL text that uses the style
in question when I click the "OK" button. If I leave that enabled, then all
changes to that style will be applied universally in THAT document.

If I use Format Styles and update a style... and enable "Add to
Template", then it will change the style in the template so that all NEW
documents created using that template will have that new style.

If I change a style in the template (parent) and save it, then go to the
document (child) and use Tools Templates & Add-ins Automatically Update,
it should sort of 'import' those changes from the parent to the child.

Sooo.. I have a bunch of documents created using Template-A. I need to
change a style on ALL the documents...
I can open ONE document, change the style, enable "Add to Template" (which
will change my template) and save the document. Now I have an updated
template, so I can open the OTHER documents and use Tools Templates and
Add-Ins and enable "Automatically Update" to incorporate that new style into
the document. I simply open each document, in turn, and enable Tools
Templates and Add-Ins Automatically Update and click "OK" to apply that
changed style.
The site (ShaunaKelly.com) warns to NOT keep the "Automatically Update"
enabled, and I'm happy to follow that advice, so I'd re-open Tools
Templates and Add-ins and disable Automatically Update.

Does that sound right?

Shane

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

[...]

[...]