Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FW FW is offline

Default excel spreadsheet as a source document

I've set up a number of word templates to reference one spreadsheet.
However, I need to keep the previous data each time I want to merge again, I
copied the spreadsheet. The word merge documents still want to reference the
original spreadsheet. How can I change the source code reference number of
the spreadsheet or else how can I make the word merge just use the name of
the spreadsheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

it is probably completely clear to you, but can you spell out what you are
trying to do? It may also help to know which versions of Word and Excel you
are using.

e.g....
a. suppose you start with a mail merge main document called a.doc and a
data source called n.xls. You do the merge.
b. when you save n.xls as o.xls, is that because you always want to be able
to go back to n.xls to see what data you merged? Just in case it is unclear,
there is no reason why you cannot use n.xls as the data source for
additional merges (although you may need to close one mail merge main
document before opening another that uses the same data source).

If you need to keep n.xls but want to continue changing o.xls and use that
in new merges, how about doing things the other way around, i.e. save n.xls
as o.xls, archive o.xls, keep changing n.xls and use that as the data source
for future merges. Then you should not need to re-connect a.doc to n.xls
unless perhaps you add or remove columns from n.xls.

(And just to be sure, when you talk about "spreadsheet", are you talking
about a .xls (i.e. "workbook", or are you copying worksheets within a
workbook)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk