Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kaveret Kaveret is offline

Default track changes balloon

Is there anyway in WORD 2003 to show baloons for comments bu tNOT for
formatting changes? They seemed linked but this is rather annoying and rather
arbitrary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Kaveret,

Comments, Ink Annotations and actual changes are part of what Word handles with the Track Changes feature. Even when you have not
used Track changes in a document Word sees inserted comments as part of that feature.

If you have never turned on track changes in a document and insert a comment, then the balloons are showing only the comments
(comments retain the mouseover 'screentip' at the point of the comment).

If you are not using Track changes (the "TRK" choice on the status bar on the bottom of the screen stays greyed out) when you choose
'Final' display choice from the reviewing toolbar, the comment panel that holds the balloons 'hides' from view, although it will
print if you use
File=Print=Print What=Document Showing Markup
and the comments will be listed if you use
File=Print=Print What=List of Markup
(even though Track changes markup was never used).

If you want to have comments parallel to content you might want to consider using a 2 column table, with the comments in the outside
column?

==================
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately no, not in W2003. I recorded a macro that turns off the
display of all markup but formatting, accepts all changes shown, and then
turns on the displays all markup again. I assigned the macro to a button on
one of my add-on toolbars.

Blessedly, W2007 lets you choose not to collect formatting changes, but the
choice doesn't stick. I haven't yet tried to figure out why.

PamC

Kaveret wrote:
Is there anyway in WORD 2003 to show baloons for comments bu tNOT for
formatting changes? They seemed linked but this is rather annoying and rather
arbitrary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi PamC,

Blessedly, W2007 lets you choose not to collect formatting changes, but the
choice doesn't stick. I haven't yet tried to figure out why.

That's "by design" - a security setting so that people opening a document are
always made aware that the document contains "hidden" information.

FWIW, it bothers me, too :-) But it hasn't bothered my enough (yet) to make me
create a macro to turn it off...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org