Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chaswey Chaswey is offline

Default What is ~WRL0000.tmp?

I seem to have lots of ~WRL files. I realise they are temporary files but
would like to know why they are created and what creates them. Even if the
file is saved regularly, these temp files seem to be all over the place.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

The ~$ file is an "owner" file that Word creates for each Word document you
open. It is normal behaviour for Word, and you can't stop Word from doing it.
They are being created all over the place because you are opening Word files
all over the place, these owner files are opened in the same folder as the
Word file.

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632 "Description of how Word
creates temporary files" for more information.

You can stop Windows from displaying the temporary files by starting Windows
Explorer or My Computer and clicking on Tools | Folder Options | View tab |
select the "Do not show hidden files and folders" radio button | OK.

They should all be removed when you close the Word application, unless you
had a crash of some sort.

Come back if they don't disappear.
DeanH

"Chaswey" wrote:

I seem to have lots of ~WRL files. I realise they are temporary files but
would like to know why they are created and what creates them. Even if the
file is saved regularly, these temp files seem to be all over the place.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chaswey Chaswey is offline

Thanks for your reply. The specific file I was referring to was ~WRL. I see
from your link that this refers to a temp Clipboard file. Should have said
that they appear in BT Digital Vault (backup) - loads of them. At least I
know what they are now, although I fail to see why DV would back up a temp
Clipboard file. However, that's another question. Thanks

"Chaswey" wrote:

I seem to have lots of ~WRL files. I realise they are temporary files but
would like to know why they are created and what creates them. Even if the
file is saved regularly, these temp files seem to be all over the place.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have long been skeptical about the description of ~WRL files as Clipboard
files, as I have found that they are in fact complete copies of previous
saved versions (older than the .wbk file, if any). Whatever they are, they
seem to be harmless (and possibly even useful), and, as long as they are
automatically deleted when you close the document, they should not cause
concern.

http://word.mvps.org

"Chaswey" wrote:

I seem to have lots of ~WRL files. I realise they are temporary files
but
would like to know why they are created and what creates them. Even if
the
file is saved regularly, these temp files seem to be all over the
place.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chaswey Chaswey is offline

Complete copies of the file would certainly make more sense than anything cut
or copied to the clipboard. In my case I am trying to find out why the BT
(UK) backup facility saves these files when anything "saved" should overwrite
the existing file. However, as I have stated, that is another question.
Thanks for your reply.