Debbie K

Default master documents

I'm attempting to create a master documents for a policy manuel from several
files in word. I'm been told that master documents corrupt. Should I try a
different angle. Create a pdf from several files, maybe.

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Debbie -

I am working on a policy manual myself. I don't understand what you're
calling a master document. Do you mean a template?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Debbie K" wrote in message
I'm attempting to create a master documents for a policy manuel from
several
files in word. I'm been told that master documents corrupt. Should I try
different angle. Create a pdf from several files, maybe.

Daiya Mitchell

Debbie, PDF is certainly a good way to go if all you need to do is assemble
a bunch of existing documents. I'm not sure how much you can manipulate the
text inside PDFs. Also see the links below for some workarounds.

JoAnn, she's talking about Word's Master Document "misfeature." By the way,
would you happen to know whether it's possible for Acrobat to add page
numbers to PDF files?

**On Master Documents

Why Master Documents corrupt:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...ocsCorrupt.htm

How to recover a Master Document:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Genera...MasterDocs.htm

Steve Hudson [Word Heretic] on how to make Master Documents work safely:
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...dhomepage.html

***Various Potential Workarounds at this links:

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the łNumber Pages Across Files˛ section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature‹for an introduction to them, see he
http://daiya.mvps.org/includetext.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big files
he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

"Debbie K" wrote in message
I'm attempting to create a master documents for a policy manuel from
several
files in word. I'm been told that master documents corrupt. Should I try
different angle. Create a pdf from several files, maybe.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Let me try........... You can using the Headers and Footers command.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

.. .

feature http://daiya.mvps.org/includetext.htm

"Debbie K" wrote in message
I'm attempting to create a master documents for a policy manuel from
several
files in word. I'm been told that master documents corrupt. Should I
try
different angle. Create a pdf from several files, maybe.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/