Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Davoud Davoud is offline

Default Possible corrupt file

I was working on a document (about 20 pages) containing word text and also
pictures. Earlier this afternoon when I opened the document most of the
pictures had been replaced by red X in the box. Then I tried to restore the
pictures by deleting the X boxes and re importing the pictures back on the
document. Then I tried to save the document while working on it but it
suddently closed and now I am unable to open it again. I am able to open
other word documents but not this particular one. Is there anyway of
recovering it? I use Word 2000.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Try opening the document in Wordpad. If it opens, then cut and paste the
contents into a new Word document.

Hope this helps,
--
Brian McCaffery

"Davoud" wrote:

I was working on a document (about 20 pages) containing word text and also
pictures. Earlier this afternoon when I opened the document most of the
pictures had been replaced by red X in the box. Then I tried to restore the
pictures by deleting the X boxes and re importing the pictures back on the
document. Then I tried to save the document while working on it but it
suddently closed and now I am unable to open it again. I am able to open
other word documents but not this particular one. Is there anyway of
recovering it? I use Word 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brian Brian is offline

Ok, I found a reply from Beth in another thread with the same problem.

Here goes.

I'm not sure what you can do. Do you know anyone who has Word 2002 or
Word 2003?

Both of these versions have an "Open and Repair" feature found under
the Open dialog box under the Open drop down.

Otherwise here area a few additional things you can try:

- If the document contains graphics then in Word go to
Tools/Options/View and turn in "Picture Placeholders" and "Draft
Font".
- If the document contains links then on the General tab make sure
"Update automatic links at Open" is turned off.

Try using a document link to retrieve the corrupt document:
- Create a new document
- Copy some text from another document
- In the new document use Edit/Paste Special and select "Paste Link"
- Go to Edit/Links and change the source of the link to the document
you can not open

If this works then return to Edit/Links and break the link to the
source document.

For additional troubleshooting steps/methods take a look at this
article:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm

You also try a recovery utility such as those from
http://www.officerecovery.com/, however they aren't free downloads.
:-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

--
Brian McCaffery

"Davoud" wrote:

I was working on a document (about 20 pages) containing word text and also
pictures. Earlier this afternoon when I opened the document most of the
pictures had been replaced by red X in the box. Then I tried to restore the
pictures by deleting the X boxes and re importing the pictures back on the
document. Then I tried to save the document while working on it but it
suddently closed and now I am unable to open it again. I am able to open
other word documents but not this particular one. Is there anyway of
recovering it? I use Word 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In File Open dialog, try opening the document when you have the Files of
type set to "Recover Text from Any File"

Remember to change that setting back as I recall that it was "sticky" in
Word 2000 and if you do not change it, all of your documents will open in
that mode.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Davoud" wrote:

I was working on a document (about 20 pages) containing word text and
also
pictures. Earlier this afternoon when I opened the document most of the
pictures had been replaced by red X in the box. Then I tried to restore
the
pictures by deleting the X boxes and re importing the pictures back on
the
document. Then I tried to save the document while working on it but it
suddently closed and now I am unable to open it again. I am able to
open
other word documents but not this particular one. Is there anyway of
recovering it? I use Word 2000.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Davoud Davoud is offline

Hi Doug, Thank you very much for your advice. It was great. we managed to
recover the text which was the most important. Much appreciated.

"Davoud" wrote:

I was working on a document (about 20 pages) containing word text and
also
pictures. Earlier this afternoon when I opened the document most of the
pictures had been replaced by red X in the box. Then I tried to restore
the
pictures by deleting the X boxes and re importing the pictures back on
the
document. Then I tried to save the document while working on it but it
suddently closed and now I am unable to open it again. I am able to
open
other word documents but not this particular one. Is there anyway of
recovering it? I use Word 2000.

Find a corrupt file MiMi Microsoft Word Help 1 December 15th 05 02:39 AM
File Corrupt - why ? How to avoid it? EmmaPeel31fr Microsoft Word Help 1 October 13th 05 01:18 PM
file may be corrupt wordnerd Microsoft Word Help 0 September 26th 05 10:27 PM
word file corrupt andrew New Users 3 March 13th 05 11:44 AM
Corrupt file Soriah Microsoft Word Help 1 January 8th 05 08:00 PM