formosaman formosaman is offline
Junior Member

Default Spell checking a document with multiple languages

Using Word (Mac) 2001

I have a document (80,000 words) that is written in both English and Italian (mainly English), and I want to be able to spellcheck in both languages.*

Because the English and Italian are intermixed it would be impossible to go through and select the appropriate dictionary language setting for each. So I had the idea of setting everything to English but then adding the Italian dictionary as the custom dictionary. However, when I try to select the Italian dictionary (Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Shared Applications/Proofing Tools/Italian Speller.proofingtool) in the preferences it won't let me. Is that the correct file or what else can I do?

Thanks very much for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It seems reasonable to me that if no text is marked "Italian," then
Word won't make available the Italian proofing tools.

It wouldn't be "impossible" to mark all the Italian passages Italian.
It might be tedious, though.

--
formosaman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To learn about custom dictionaries, take a look at
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/MasterSpell...CustomDicProbs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP