Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim In Minneapolis Jim In Minneapolis is offline

Default Location of "normal.dot" file in Word 2007 under Vista ULTIMATE?

I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called) file for
Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to save the toolbar
settings and macros . . . and then COPY that "normal.dot" file . . . to
ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably not
"Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another Vista machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The normal template in Word 2007 is a hidden file called normal.dotm. It
will be in the folder indicated at Word Options Advanced File Locations
User Templates.

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called)
file for Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to save
the toolbar settings and macros . . . and then COPY that "normal.dot"
file . . . to ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar
icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably not
"Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another Vista
machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim In Minneapolis Jim In Minneapolis is offline

Default Location of "normal.dot" file in Word 2007 under Vista ULTIMAT

Thanks for your help, Graham

It seems that the "normal.dotm" file does not include the "QUICK ACCESS"
toolbar icon configuration.

(Copying that file from one PC to another ONLY transfers macros )

Do you know how I can "back up" a file . . . that DOES contain the "QUICK
ACCESS" toolbar icons? (I have quite a few!)

Jim

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called)
file for Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to save
the toolbar settings and macros . . . and then COPY that "normal.dot"
file . . . to ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar
icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably not
"Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another Vista
machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The QAT is stored in a separate file - C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\Word.qat
or its equivalent path in Vista.

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called)
file for Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to
save the toolbar settings and macros . . . and then COPY that
"normal.dot" file . . . to ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar
icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably
not "Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another Vista
machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim In Minneapolis Jim In Minneapolis is offline

Ok. Here is the path on my PC : C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Application Data

However, when I use Windows Explorer to browse to it then click on that
folder (which, by the way, indicates it is a "shortcut" rather than normal
yellow folder), I am not allowed to browse the contents. I get this error
message: "C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Application Data is NOT ACCESSIBLE.
ACCESS DENIED".

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called)
file for Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to
save the toolbar settings and macros . . . and then COPY that
"normal.dot" file . . . to ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar
icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably
not "Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another Vista
machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim In Minneapolis Jim In Minneapolis is offline

Hi Graham

Ok. I will research the "Vista" permission.

I appreciate your kindness in helping me . . . I am sure your advice is
correct, once I get past the permissions thing.

Thanks again

Jim

Jim In Minneapolis wrote:
I would like to BACK-UP the "normal.dot" (or whatever it's called)
file for Word 2007 running under Vista Ultimate. My goal is to
save the toolbar settings and macros . . . and then COPY that
"normal.dot" file . . . to ANOTHER computer running Vista.

Hopefully, that way I won't have to recreate the custom toolbar
icons, etc.

What is the CORRECT name of the file I am looking for?? (probably
not "Normal.dot")

And will it save my toolbar icons, when tranferred to another
Vista machine?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Adri Adri is offline

In Vista, the Word.qat is in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\
--
Thanks...
Adri

"Graham Mayor" wrote: