Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
alpineflower alpineflower is offline

Default Blank records are crashing my mail merge.

I'm using Word and Excel 2007 on Windows XP Professional. I have a small
spreadsheet in Excel with names and addresses; when I use it as my data
source for creating labels in Word, Word imports my 66 addresses, and an
extra 8,000 or so blank records - the rows under my spreadsheet. I have
tried importing the spreadsheet as a Text (tab delimited) document, I've
unchecked all the records and checked only my recipients in "Edit
Recipients", and I can't think of anything else I'm doing wrong.

Additionally, when I look at pages of my labels in "Preview Results", the
first page is correct, but the second page restarts my labels with record 2 -
I never get to the last label, and it's only 66 records!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

have a small
spreadsheet in Excel with names and addresses; when I use it as my data
source for creating labels in Word, Word imports my 66 addresses, and an
extra 8,000 or so blank records - the rows under my spreadsheet.

Just in case there is some data somewhere below your records, I suggest you
try
a. create a new workbook
b. select your 66 Excel rows, copy, then paste them into the first sheet in
the new workbook
c. try using that as the data source

Additionally, when I look at pages of my labels in "Preview Results", the
first page is correct, but the second page restarts my labels with record
2 -
I never get to the last label, and it's only 66 records!

That's because when you change the "current record" in Preview, all that
happens is that record is used as the first record in the preview - in other
words, Preview does not actually preview the pages of your output (as you
might hope).

If you merge to a new document, you should see the results you're hoping
for. I'd try that before merging to printer, given the other problems you're
having.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk