Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GregNga GregNga is offline

Default Ignore blank address fields

How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Greg,

When executing the merge, Word gives you the option to print or not print blank lines.

Alternatively, you could suppress the blank lines via the use of an IF field. To do this:
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be suppressed (eg «MyData») so that you get:
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9, you'll get:
.. fill in between the braces so that you end up with:
"},
where the '¶' is a paragraph mark or line-feed, depending on which you're using
.. delete the existing paragraph mark or line-feed that's outside the mergefield;
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

--
Cheers
macropod

"GregNga" wrote in message ...
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You will need to use an If...then...Else field construction

{ IF { MERGEFIELD field2 } = "" "{ MERGEFIELD field3 }" "{ MERGEFIELD
field2 }¶
{ MERGEFIELD field3 }" }

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters and where the ¶
appears in the above, you need to press the Enter key or Shift + Enter.

Use Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GregNga GregNga is offline

When I went thru the process described in the help text and when I got to
the MERGE dialogue box, I selected "don't print blank lines when data fields
are empty". After I clciked the MERGE button, I noticed the document that was
populated still had blank lines for the blank address fields. Does this go
away when you print them.

"GregNga" wrote in message ...
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GregNga GregNga is offline

Here is how I want to format the envelope:

Title Firstname Lastname
Addr1
Addr2
City State Zip

I only want to print the line with Addr2 if it is non-blank. How do I format
my document using If, Then Else

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi greg,

To do what you're after, follow the steps for the alternate method I gave you in my previous post.

--
Cheers
macropod

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

{ MAILMERGE Title} { MAILMERGE Firstname } { MAILMERGE Lastname }[Enter]
{ MAILMERGE Addr1 }[Enter]
{ IF { MAILMERGE Addr2 } = "" "{ MAILMERGE City } { MAILMERGE State } {
MAILMERGE Zip }" "{ MAILMERGE Addr2 }[Enter]
{MAILMERGE City { { MAILMERGE State } { MAILMERGE Zip }" }

Use the Enter Key or Shift+Enter in place of the [Enter] above.
--

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GregNga GregNga is offline

I see this a lot more clearly now. Btw, seems that the last line should be
{MAILMERGE City } { MAILMERGE State } { MAILMERGE Zip }" }
instead of
{MAILMERGE City { { MAILMERGE State } { MAILMERGE Zip }" }

Thanks for helping me understand this

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You are right about the last line. I was of course entering the replicas of
field delimiters from the keyboard (the only way in the mail program) but if
you use Ctrl+F9 to enter then as is necessary to get them to work, you will
always get matched pairs { }.

--

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In
other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
GregNga GregNga is offline

Yes, it's been very helpful.........thanks

"GregNga" wrote in message
How to I get Word mail merge to ignore blank address fields. In
other
words,
If address field 2 is blank, I don't want to priht a blank line

Blank line between name and address fields in mail merge out Aidan Mailmerge 2 April 29th 08 11:58 AM
How do I clear address from blank document. Charlie Microsoft Word Help 3 January 28th 08 10:31 PM
blank fields Alex Mailmerge 3 November 1st 06 09:19 AM
Using if fields in mail merge to ignore empty fields Larry S. Mailmerge 9 August 15th 06 08:10 AM
Address blank line not suppressing J Zentner Microsoft Word Help 9 April 7th 06 09:37 PM