Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeR-Oz MikeR-Oz is offline

Default Full path of the file is too long error message

Error message when I try to open a Word 2003 file on a stand alone PC that I
have created- How to fix please?

The full path of the file 'Ass.........-.......' is too long. Please try
using the 'Map Network drive' command to connect to the server to shorten the
path.

Regards

Mike
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Full path of the file is too long error message

Hi Mike,

I understand that you are facing an error message while trying to open a Word 2003 file on your stand-alone PC that you have created. The error message says that the full path of the file is too long and suggests using the 'Map Network drive' command to connect to the server to shorten the path.

This error message usually occurs when the file path exceeds the maximum limit of 260 characters in Windows. Here are a few solutions that you can try to fix this issue:
  1. Rename the file: You can try renaming the file to a shorter name. This will reduce the length of the file path and may help you to open the file.
  2. Move the file to a shorter path: You can try moving the file to a folder with a shorter path. For example, move the file from 'C:\Users\username\Documents\Ass.........-.......' to 'C:\Ass.........-.......'.
  3. Use the 'Map Network drive' command: As suggested in the error message, you can try using the 'Map Network drive' command to connect to the server to shorten the path. Here are the steps to do this:
    1. Open 'File Explorer' and click on 'This PC'.
    2. Click on the 'Computer' tab and select 'Map network drive'.
    3. In the 'Map Network Drive' window, select a drive letter and enter the folder path in the 'Folder' field.
    4. Check the box 'Reconnect at sign-in' if you want to use this drive every time you sign in to your PC.
    5. Click on 'Finish' to complete the process.

I hope one of these solutions will help you to fix the issue and open the Word 2003 file.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Paths can only be 255 characters (which includes invisible drive letters or
mapping).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"MikeR-Oz" wrote in message
Error message when I try to open a Word 2003 file on a stand alone PC that
have created- How to fix please?

The full path of the file 'Ass.........-.......' is too long. Please try
using the 'Map Network drive' command to connect to the server to shorten
the
path.

Regards

Mike

alan.larky alan.larky is offline
Junior Member

Smile

i also have faced the same problme and following software sort out my problem

longPathTool.com

Little features of this softwares a

Path too long.
Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk.
Cannot delete file: Access is denied.
There has been a sharing violation.
Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long.
Specify a different file name.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Error Deleting File or Folder
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
Path too deep.