Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nancy Carol Nancy Carol is offline

Default MailMerge from Access

I have office 2002 installed.

I have created a form letter. I want to merge it with a student query in an
Access Database. When I go to get the data and try to open the Database,
nothing happens. I just go right back to the selection Menu with the Get
Data Button highlighted, but no merge button highlighted. It never lets me
select and data from the database.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks in Advance

Nancy Carol
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you click on the Insert Merge Fields button, are there any merge fields
displayed? You have to have some merge fields in the document before you
can execute the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Nancy Carol" Nancy wrote in message
I have office 2002 installed.

I have created a form letter. I want to merge it with a student query in
an
Access Database. When I go to get the data and try to open the Database,
nothing happens. I just go right back to the selection Menu with the Get
Data Button highlighted, but no merge button highlighted. It never lets
me
select and data from the database.

Does anyone know how I can fix this problem?

Thanks in Advance

Nancy Carol

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nancy Carol[_2_] Nancy Carol[_2_] is offline

No, it never opens the database to let me select the fields I ned. This is
where it just goes back to the Get Data. It ignores the request to open the
database.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Nancy Carol

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In ToolsOptionsGeneral, check the box for the Confirm conversions at open
item and then try and re-attach the data source, trying that various methods
of connection that will be offered as a choice. The DDE option may work.

Does the query that you a trying to use ask for a parameter when you open it
in Access? If so, Word will not be able to handle that.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Nancy Carol[_2_] Nancy Carol[_2_] is offline

Doug;

It made no difference when I checked the box. I know there must be
some kind of connection issue because it just ignores opening the database.

I even paid for someone from the AFB to assist me and he is as
confused as we all are.

Thanks for trying;

Nancy Carol

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I don't have an answer either and I'm not sure the answers to the
following will help, but
a. have you been able to use this database as a mail merge data source
before?
b. is this database .mdb format?
c. is the database on a local drive or a network drive?
d. do you know whether the tables are in the .mdb itself or whether
they are all linked to another database (e.g. a SQL Server database of
some kind)
e. are you using Workgroup security (with a separate .mdw file) ?
f. if you create a new data source in Word Mailmerge and save it as a
..mdb, and put a test record in there, does that work as a data source?
g. if you also have Excel, can you make a copy of your database file
(e.g. .mdb) then try to open the copy in Excel and see what happens?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Another thing that you can try is to initiate the mail merge from Access.
In Access, from the Tools menu, select Office Links and then Merge it with
Microsoft Word.

--

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

mailmerge or access for this? HwyRogue Mailmerge 1 April 2nd 08 08:48 AM
mailmerge with access Nathan Franklin Mailmerge 1 January 23rd 07 10:26 AM
Mailmerge and Access Steve P. Mailmerge 2 May 25th 06 05:02 PM
Mailmerge from Access Steve Mailmerge 4 March 7th 06 11:07 PM
Mailmerge and Access Shep99 Mailmerge 2 December 30th 05 12:06 PM