Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prateeksha Prateeksha is offline

Default Heading Styles Numbering Problem.

Hello All,

I am creating a framework design document in Word 2003. I have used 4 levels
of headings - Heading 1-4. The first 2 levels display properly whereas the
level
3 and 4 headings appear in a wierd fashion. For example. After 3 (Heading 1)
3.1, 3.2 etc., appears (Heading 2), later Heading 3 appears as 2.3.1 and
Heading 4 appears as 1.3.2.1. I am unable to understand this phenomena. I
have defined the styles in a the appropriate manner i.e., filled in the
appropriate details in all the fields - Previous Level Number, Link Level to
Style, Restart Numbering After etc.

Please guide me and provide the solution for this problem I face. Thanks to
all.

Vidya.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It seems as if the current level number and previous level numbers are
in the wrong order in the "Number format" box of the Customize Outline
Numbered List dialog box. Since you can't tell them apart (they all
display with a grey background), you'd better delete them and
re-insert them, using the "Previous level number" and "Number style"
boxes.

When modifying the numbering formatting, make sure to start at the
Heading 1 style, as explained at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Prateeksha" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Prateeksha Prateeksha is offline

Stefan, Thanks for the valuable guidance. I was able to sort out the issue
and complete the document as required. The link that you provided gave me
insight into the intricacies of defining an outline numbered style.

Vidya.