Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Marisa

Default How to skip a field in a directory mail merge if it's blank

I am trying to do a directory mail merge from excel. In some cases - there
is no phone number so the field is blank. How do I get the merge to skip
that part and go to the next entry? Below is a copy of my merge fields. I
am trying to get Word to skip printing "Home........ " if there is no text in
the Home field.

Home€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦ «Home»
Dad Work€¦€¦€¦€¦ «Dads_WK»
Dad Cell€¦€¦€¦€¦€¦ «Dads_Cell»
Mom Work€¦€¦€¦... «Moms_WK»
Mom Cell€¦€¦€¦€¦... «Moms_Cell»
Dad Email€¦€¦€¦.«Dads_Email»
Mom Email€¦€¦...«Moms_Email»
Family Email€¦€¦Â«Family_Email»

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use an If...then...Else... field construction like

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Home } "" "Home[tab]{ MERGEFIELD Home }[enter]Dad
Work[tab]{ MERGEFIELD Dads_WK }" "Dad Work[tab]{ MERGEFIELD Dads_WK }" }

where in place of [tab] and [enter] you use the Tab key and the Enter key
respectively.

You must use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters { } and Alt+F9
to toggle off their display.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Marisa" wrote in message
I am trying to do a directory mail merge from excel. In some cases - there
is no phone number so the field is blank. How do I get the merge to skip
that part and go to the next entry? Below is a copy of my merge fields.
am trying to get Word to skip printing "Home........ " if there is no text
in
the Home field.

Home...... «Home»
Dad Work.... «Dads_WK»