Brent

Default Page Numbers Print { PAGE } in Footer in WORD even after ALT + F9

I have inserted the Page Number in a Footer in a standard Word Document.
Initially in the "Print Layout" option of the "View" menu, the page number
appear fine. I do a "Print Preview" and they appear as { PAGE }. I press
ALT + F9 while in the Print Preview, and the { PAGE } is converted to the
actual and correct page numbers on each page. If I print from the Print
Preview, the printing is converted back to the { PAGE } variable, and no page
numbers print. If I print from the regular Print Layout page, after pressing
ALT + F9 in the Print Preview screen, the same thing happens, even though the
page number appear correctly on the screen. If I press ALT + F9 while in
Print Preview, then get out of Print Preview (back to Print Layout), and
immediately go back to Print Preview, the page numbers are all reset to {
PAGE}. What do I have to do to get the actual page numbers to display, and
most importantly print, rather than { PAGE } on the document? Thinking about
WordPefect a lot lately. Thank you for your kind consideration in responding
to my inquiry.
Daiya Mitchell

Examine the settings in Tools | Options, Print tab. There should be one for
printing field codes.

Alt-F9 only controls the view settings (checkbox in Tools | Options, View
tab).

Print Preview shows, by default, what will be printed. It would make sense
if alt-F9 while in Print Preview changed the print settings, but it doesn't.
That behavior is an oddity, and ought to be fixed--alt-F9 ought to do
nothing in Print Preview.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Brent

Dear Daiya:

Thanks for the tip. The Print tab of the Tools | Options menu, under the
"Include With Document" section, had the "Field Codes" checked. I unchecked
it, and everything worked fine! Many, many thanks!!!

Brent