Interim Department Tech - Uhhhgg!

Default Mysterious problem saving to the 3.5 inch drive

Okay, this is weird one. Microsoft Word (Office 2000 on Windows 2000) will
no longer allow me to "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive. The drive has been
checked by a tech. It does work. In fact, I made a shortcut on the desktop
for the 3.5 inch drive. I'm able to drag word documents into the shortcut
and into the disc.

So, when I "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive the computer locks up and will
only restart with a hard reboot.

I reinstalled Office 2000 and still have the problem.

How do I fix this without reinstalling my operating system?

Can anyone help?
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

You shouldn't do that anyway. Save it locally and then go into Windows
Explorer and send it to the A drive.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Interim Department Tech - Uhhhgg!" Interim Department Tech -
wrote in message
Okay, this is weird one. Microsoft Word (Office 2000 on Windows 2000)
will
no longer allow me to "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive. The drive has been
checked by a tech. It does work. In fact, I made a shortcut on the
desktop
for the 3.5 inch drive. I'm able to drag word documents into the shortcut
and into the disc.

So, when I "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive the computer locks up and will
only restart with a hard reboot.

I reinstalled Office 2000 and still have the problem.

How do I fix this without reinstalling my operating system?

Can anyone help?

As JoAnn implies, Word is really saving you from yourself, as it is never
advisable to save directly to a floppy drive (it's one of the top three
causes of document corruption). Save to the HD first and then Copy or Send
(or drag, as you are already doing) to the floppy.

wrote in message
Okay, this is weird one. Microsoft Word (Office 2000 on Windows 2000)

will
no longer allow me to "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive. The drive has been
checked by a tech. It does work. In fact, I made a shortcut on the

desktop
for the 3.5 inch drive. I'm able to drag word documents into the shortcut
and into the disc.

So, when I "save as" to the 3.5 inch drive the computer locks up and will
only restart with a hard reboot.

I reinstalled Office 2000 and still have the problem.

How do I fix this without reinstalling my operating system?

Can anyone help?

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Wouldn't it be great if our computer would *always* stop us from doing
stupid stuff or bad practices?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
As JoAnn implies, Word is really saving you from yourself, as it is never
advisable to save directly to a floppy drive (it's one of the top three
causes of document corruption). Save to the HD first and then Copy or Send
(or drag, as you are already doing) to the floppy.

so
all may benefit.