Seb

Default word cross references do not update

I write large reports and I use the cross referecne feature for tables and
figures in Word XP extensively in my texts. Unfortunately now and then I
have to rearrange or add/remove some of these tables and figures via the
caption feature. The table/figure numbers are updated automatically and
correctly, I apprecieate that

However, the cross-references in the texts themselves are not updated
In fact, the hyperlinks also point in the wrong places. That means I have
to scan through every cross references and manually make alterations to these
references. I think that defeats the supposedly intended purpose of having
the cross-reference feature in the first place. Perhaps this is a bug?
Doug Robbins

Have you tried Ctrl+A then F9? If the referred item still exists in the
document, the cross reference to it should then be updated.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Seb" wrote in message
I write large reports and I use the cross referecne feature for tables and
figures in Word XP extensively in my texts. Unfortunately now and then I
have to rearrange or add/remove some of these tables and figures via the
caption feature. The table/figure numbers are updated automatically and
correctly, I apprecieate that

However, the cross-references in the texts themselves are not updated
In fact, the hyperlinks also point in the wrong places. That means I have
to scan through every cross references and manually make alterations to
these
references. I think that defeats the supposedly intended purpose of
having
the cross-reference feature in the first place. Perhaps this is a bug?

Faith

But there should be a way for Word to AUTOMATICALLY update cross-references
and TOC fields (page numbers, in both cases) with the document is opened. Do
you know of a way to configure this? I don't want my doc users to have to
manually update all the cross-references and TOCs by pressing F9.

"Seb" wrote in message
I write large reports and I use the cross referecne feature for tables and
figures in Word XP extensively in my texts. Unfortunately now and then I
have to rearrange or add/remove some of these tables and figures via the
caption feature. The table/figure numbers are updated automatically and
correctly, I apprecieate that

However, the cross-references in the texts themselves are not updated
In fact, the hyperlinks also point in the wrong places. That means I have
to scan through every cross references and manually make alterations to
these
references. I think that defeats the supposedly intended purpose of
having
the cross-reference feature in the first place. Perhaps this is a bug?

Write an AutoOpen macro (saved in Normal.dot) to Ctrl+A, F9.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Have you tried Ctrl+A then F9? If the referred item still exists in the
document, the cross reference to it should then be updated.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a

paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Seb" wrote in message
[...]

Faith

I use custom templates for my docs, and then they're PDF'd (with specific
options) for distribution. Do you know how Adobe would react to a Word macro
during the PDF process?

"Seb" wrote in message
[...]

I don't see how an AutoOpen macro would affect the process of printing to
PDF.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Write an AutoOpen macro (saved in Normal.dot) to Ctrl+A, F9.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Seb" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

The following is probably overkill, but if named AutoOpen, it will update
only Table of Contents and REF fields.
Sub TOCFieldUpdateAllStory()
' Written by Charles Kyle Kenyon 15 November 2001
' repaired by Jezebel
' All Story Field Updater - TOC fields
Dim oField As Field
Dim oStory As Range
' On Error Resume Next
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
' This goes into headers and footers as well as the regular document
Do
For Each oField In oStory.Fields
If oField.Type = wdFieldTOC Then
oField.Update
End If
If oField.Type = wdFieldREF Then
oField.Update
End If
Next oField
Set oStory = oStory.Next
Loop Until oStory Is Nothing
Next oStory
End Sub
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Write an AutoOpen macro (saved in Normal.dot) to Ctrl+A, F9.

so
all may benefit.

"Seb" wrote in message
[...]

word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
WordPerfect - copying formatting Morgan Page Layout 1 January 10th 05 06:00 PM
Continuous breaks convert to next page breaks Jennifer Hunt Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 06:45 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Updating Cross References in Headers Darrell Microsoft Word Help 0 December 10th 04 03:15 AM