Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Default word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's login

word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's login. It's
windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded "requesting virsu scan" 45
second delay every time I open word. Under my wife's login, I don't get the
"requesting virus scan". I have done a word repair install and I have
uninstalled word and reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my
normal.dot a new name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Default word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's lo

Is that disabling done somewhere in word or somewhere in norton antivirus. I
am using my universitiy's norton antivirus corporate edition version 10. I
don't see in its configuration anywhere to disable word from its list of
attention.

Thanks, lrm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start by disabling the Office Plug-in in Norton AntiVirus in your profile.

"laneymills" wrote in message
word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's login. It's
windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded "requesting virsu scan"

45
second delay every time I open word. Under my wife's login, I don't get

the
"requesting virus scan". I have done a word repair install and I have
uninstalled word and reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my
normal.dot a new name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is a bit different in the Corporate Edition.

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

Here is a KB article that provides a few additional details. It does
not include information on Norton CE but it will contain additional
details on the unregister command if you need them:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start by disabling the Office Plug-in in Norton AntiVirus in your

profile.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"laneymills" wrote in message
word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's login.

It's
windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded "requesting virsu

scan"
45
second delay every time I open word. Under my wife's login, I don't

get
the
"requesting virus scan". I have done a word repair install and I have
uninstalled word and reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my
normal.dot a new name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents

and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Thanks, it will be a day or so before i can try that, but what you suggest
makes sense. I'll let you know. lm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Hi Suzanne,

It's so refreshing to find someone that has even heard of navce10.

I searched my entire hard drive and found only one copy of officeav.dll and
that we in some files I had saved from an old computer I no longer use. I'm
almost sure my system is not using that file in any way. It's deep in a long
chain of directories.

But now, that raises another question. Might the absense of such a file be
an issue for word and for navce10 itself. Ever since I upgraded from navce7
to navce10, I get, 3 times, a dialog box every time I boot up which says that
nav is unable to enable real-time protection.

What do you think?

Incidentally, I search the symantec site for an faq about that and found
some comments relating to nav7, but that is ancient history and there are not
faqs relating to any later versions. I looked for nav discussion lists and
can't find that either.

.... and besides word's always locking up when I try to open a file (this
problem just started recently) I have had for quite a long time this
loooooooooog delay while word says "requesting virus scan". Do you think
maybe all these symptoms might have a common cause?

Thanks, Laney Mills

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If Word is requesting a virus scan then that virus scan request is coming
from your AV software. Word has no in-built virus checking. If you have the
Norton Corporate Edition as your AV software, then the request is coming
from officeav.dll. It's location is irrelevant. Did you do what Suzanne
suggested in relation to this file?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start by disabling the Office Plug-in in Norton AntiVirus in your
profile.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"laneymills" wrote in
message ...
word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's
login. It's windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded
"requesting virsu scan" 45 second delay every time I open word.
Under my wife's login, I don't get the "requesting virus scan".
I have done a word repair install and I have uninstalled word and
reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my normal.dot a new
name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that
helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Thanks for your note, you guys are giving me more help than I've been able to
find in a long time.

I have not yet done that and I can't imagine the system finding this file.
Is it possible that when I downloaded the navce10 that it did not load in the
current version of that file but some how, after a full search of my entire
hard drve, found this old file and is using it rather than a new one?

Is the effect of her suggestion to disable whatever it is that that file does?

Meanwhile I'll go ahead and follow her suggestion and postwhat happens

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start by disabling the Office Plug-in in Norton AntiVirus in your
profile.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"laneymills" wrote in
message ...
word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's
login. It's windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded
"requesting virsu scan" 45 second delay every time I open word.
Under my wife's login, I don't get the "requesting virus scan".
I have done a word repair install and I have uninstalled word and
reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my normal.dot a new
name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that
helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

I have family in Fairhope and have been there often.

A search of the whole computer turned up *three* copies of that file. I
unregistered all three of them, one at a time.

I turned off the machine and rebooted. I still get the dialog box that
Norton Antivirus real time protection is unable to load and the machine takes
rather longer than usual to boot up.

And when I launch Word I no long get the "requesting virus scan"! mirable
edictu!!

However, then word goes into "not responding".

Then I log out and go into my wife's login. Word comes up fine and runs
beautifully!

How in the work can that happen. The word install is for all users, so I am
assuming I am talking to the very same installation.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ps I do have some programs that I unintentionally did install just under my
login but really wanted them under all users. Do you know off the top of
your head how to reclassify those program?

Laney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Hi,

I just learned about the event log and found this entry this morning
regarding this antivirus issue:

Change of the SID length requires adjustment of internal data structures.
Try reloading SYMEVENT.SYS or restarting the system.

Does that event comment suggest anything to you?

Thanks. Laney

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Start by disabling the Office Plug-in in Norton AntiVirus in your
profile.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"laneymills" wrote in
message ...
word locks up under my login but works perfectly for wife's
login. It's windows xp professional. Also I have the dreaded
"requesting virsu scan" 45 second delay every time I open word.
Under my wife's login, I don't get the "requesting virus scan".
I have done a word repair install and I have uninstalled word and
reinstalled word. No effect. I have given my normal.dot a new
name and copied by wife's normal.dot to my "documents and
settings, me, applications, micrsoft, templates. None of that
helps.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
laneymills

Hi,

My ex wife's sister Betty Jo Haynie used to (maybe still does) run the Crown
and Colony store in Fairhope. Her ex husband Bill Haynie, lived on the bay
on the Dauphine Island Expressway, but his house was ruined by the storm and
he just recently bought a place in Daphne.

I'm from Bogalusa, La.

Should I write directly to Graham or is he likely to see this note?

I guess my focus right now is why does word run fine under my wife's login
but crashes (not responding) under mine. We have gotten far enough to get
rid of the "requesting virsu scan" so that is a step forward.

Thanks again. lrm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Betty Jo is one of my former clients! Crown & Colony still exists (it has
moved about a bit), but I rather think Betty Jo may have sold it to someone
else.

Yes, Graham will see your posts here, but, as he's in Cyprus, since he
hasn't responded by now, it may be tomorrow before he checks in again.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

I was sleeping

Unfortunately I am unable to cast any light on why it works under the wife's
log in, but my guess is that it may have something to do with the way either
Office or Norton were installed. Probably the latter as the old dll had been
still active for that log-in. You should check with Symantec. It may be
necessary to remove all vestiges of Norton and reinstall it.