Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

Default First Page Footer

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Did you look look in the Header and Footer and How do you know there are no
section breaks? Are you using Print Layout? Could we see the document?
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mpvjules@hotmail.com is offline

When you set there's no different first page, there still is a hidden
different first page. Do this little test: make a new document, set
first different page en put something in the header. Then uncheck the
different first page and the text is 'gone'. But it's still in the
document! You can see it doing a good search through the document, or
just turn on the different first page!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

This is good information, but how do I get rid of it? Will it ever do
anything strange to my document or should I just ignore it? Will it ever
print anywhere?
Thanks,
Tara

" wrote:

When you set there's no different first page, there still is a hidden
different first page. Do this little test: make a new document, set
first different page en put something in the header. Then uncheck the
different first page and the text is 'gone'. But it's still in the
document! You can see it doing a good search through the document, or
just turn on the different first page!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

Carol - to answer your questions, yes, I did look in the header and footer
and they are the ones I intended to have there. And, yes, if I look at Normal
layout I can see there are no section breaks. Hope that helps.

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Hi there,

What MVPJules said is absolutely true. Open your document and click on File
| Page Setup | and check Different first page and Ok. You will then see that
the footer does indeed have the company address. It looks like the first
page header and footer is your letterhead.

I used to work for ADP years ago in Baltimore!

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

OK - so, then I'm guessing there's no way to get rid of it? How does
letterhead get set in a document?

Thanks!
Tara

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarallen Tarallen is offline

Sorry - this is my last question, I promise. Why would I use the Different
First Page feature when I can just use a section break and make the headers
and footers different? Is it just two options to do the same thing? Or is
there a benefit to one feature over the other? Maybe Different First Page is
just easier....

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Hi,

Apparently this is a company template and I have no idea the reasoning
behind using it for your purposes. Yes, you can get rid of it. Do as MVP
Jules said and then View the header and footer and delete the information
there. I hope this has been helpful to you.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Using "Different first page" is the correct approach when you want to be
able to type text continuously from the first page onto the second. For
more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mpvjules@hotmail.com is offline

When you really want to get rid of it: check the Different first page
and you will be able to delete the undesired text. After it, uncheck
the Different first page again and it's gone forever. If you don't
delete it, you may have a have Worddocument (because the logo is there
maybe).

Once deleted, it won't come back by itself..
On the other hand, it's an interesting way of sending secret messages!

"Tarallen" wrote:

Just sent it to you Carol - thanks.

"Carol" wrote:

Send it to
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Tarallen" wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to solve a mystery in one of my files. It does not contain
section breaks and just has one header and one footer running throughout the
guide. The first page is not set to be different.
However, when I was searching for '05' to locate a set of digits, what
turned up was something I had not put into the file - it was our company name
and address, '05' being part of the zip code, and it shows up in a section at
the bottom of the page called 'First Page Footer.' When I print the page, the
regular footer prints. I cannot find where this text is in the document. It
says first page footer but I can only find it when I search on '05.'

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tara

Header and Footer MoPete99 Microsoft Word Help 20 July 25th 06 11:07 AM
adding pages MoJR Microsoft Word Help 23 February 28th 06 04:51 PM
How did the first page footer end up on the third page as well? Caroline Microsoft Word Help 2 August 19th 05 02:15 AM
section breaks change each time opening document Dave Microsoft Word Help 6 March 21st 05 11:01 AM