Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Sparrow Mike Sparrow is offline

Default How do I format Balloon text in Word 2007?

I know the process, but when I do it, there is no effect. I can select the
text in the balloon or I can try to format the text before I type within the
balloon, but when using the Pop-Up mini toolbar, the change has no effect on
the text. Also, I can't change the default balloon font and size for future
documents. Agian, I know the process, but there is no effect. Thanks Bill
for a newer version of the same old problems.
--
mike p
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you tried modifying the Balloon Text and Comment Text styles?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mike Sparrow" wrote in message
I know the process, but when I do it, there is no effect. I can

select the
text in the balloon or I can try to format the text before I type

within the
balloon, but when using the Pop-Up mini toolbar, the change has no

effect on
the text. Also, I can't change the default balloon font and size for

future
documents. Agian, I know the process, but there is no effect. Thanks

Bill
for a newer version of the same old problems.
--
mike p

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

It's not a review option. You need to modify the paragraph styles. Since I'm
not using Word 2007 yet, I can't tell you the exact steps, unfortunately. If
you are familiar with the Styles and Formatting task pane of Word 2002/2003,
you should be able to locate something similar (the Styles pane?) in Word
2007. From there you'll be able to alter the styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried modifying the Balloon Text and Comment Text styles?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mike Sparrow" wrote in message
I know the process, but when I do it, there is no effect. I can

select the
text in the balloon or I can try to format the text before I type

within the
balloon, but when using the Pop-Up mini toolbar, the change has no

effect on
the text. Also, I can't change the default balloon font and size for

future
documents. Agian, I know the process, but there is no effect. Thanks

Bill
for a newer version of the same old problems.
--
mike p

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Sparrow Mike Sparrow is offline

Yes, I'm familiar with that process too b/c I 've done this with Word 2003.
It's supposed to be easier in 07 b/c a pop-up toolbar becomes visable when
you right click in the comment balloon. That's where the styles can be
altered, but try changing the comment font to, for example, Times New Roman
12 or 14. What happens? Yes, Bill still gets richer by the minute, but I
don't get TNR 14!!

thanks for your help
--
mike

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Have you tried modifying the Balloon Text and Comment Text styles?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mike Sparrow" wrote in message
I know the process, but when I do it, there is no effect. I can
select the
text in the balloon or I can try to format the text before I type
within the
balloon, but when using the Pop-Up mini toolbar, the change has no
effect on
the text. Also, I can't change the default balloon font and size for
future
documents. Agian, I know the process, but there is no effect. Thanks
Bill
for a newer version of the same old problems.
--
mike p

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (or, click the Style launcher in the SE corner of
the Styles section in the Home tab).

2. Click the Manage Styles button at the bottom of the Styles pane.

3. In the Edit tab, find the Comment Text style, and click on it.

4. Click the Modify button. Change the formatting as desired, then click OK.

5. Back in Manage Styles, click either OK or Close.

The font for "Comment [H1" (in my case... the initial will likely be
different for you) can similarly be changed, using the Balloon Text style.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Sparrow Mike Sparrow is offline

Thanks Herb. I followed your steps so I did arrive at the correct dialogue
box (although, I was able to arrive there by right-clicking in the comment
balloon as well). The style of the font does change, but the size seems the
same. To be more spoecific, a 12 pt Ariel looks much larger in the document
than it does in a comment balloon. And while we're on the topic of balloons,
I guess you've already discovered that if you want to change the balloon
color, you don't access that dialogue box via the balloon tab down arrow;
you must go into track changes. Luckily this program is so mindless or else
you wouldn't be selling books, right?

thanks,

mike

--
mike s

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Upon further testing... I discovered that the Balloon Text style seems to
affect the typeface and size of "Comment [H1]", as well as the size (but not
the typeface) of the comment itself. The Comment Text style affects only the
typeface, and not the size.

This looks like a bug to me.

And, yes... I long ago discovered the limited ways in which balloon color
can be manipulated. It actually make sense to me, since color is how you
distinguish among comments/editing by different people. If it were
controlled by style, it could interfere with this functionality when the
document is passed around.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The same is true in Word 2003; you have to modify both Balloon Text and
Comment Text to get the desired result. IIRC, that's what you were told in
the first reply in this thread.

Note that I don't say that it's logical or that I like it--that's just the
way it is.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike Sparrow Mike Sparrow is offline

Thanks, but it doesn't make sense b/c if they got the communication (& gui)
correct, then there would be no speculation by the user. We, as tech
writers, do not need Bill's apparent safety devices. Regarding PPT 07, it
would make perfect sense if the balloon color could be manupulated from the
Balloon tab because that is where you would adjust the color for multiple
user comments anyway. I'm sure your book is excellent, but don't rationalize
for Bill when you don't need to. It will only hurt your credibility in the
long run.

thanks again.
--
mike

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not rationalizing for anybody, and my credibility--long and short
run--are not in jeopardy. When I say that something makes sense to me,
that's exactly what I mean. Anybody familiar with me knows that I pull no
punches when I believe that Microsoft has screwed up or made a bad design
decision. You are free to indicate that something doesn't suit you or make
sense to you, but I'll thank you to allow me the same freedom without
suggesting that I'm rationalizing anything in any way.

I exchange edited documents with many clients. I aggressively and decidedly
do NOT want the color of comment balloons to be decided by styles. That
would make them all the same color. I don't want that. I want different
colors for different reviewers. I depend on those differences so I can
quickly see who said what.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (or, click the Style launcher in the SE
corner
of
the Styles section in the Home tab).

2. Click the Manage Styles button at the bottom of the Styles pane.

3. In the Edit tab, find the Comment Text style, and click on it.

4. Click the Modify button. Change the formatting as desired, then
click
OK.

5. Back in Manage Styles, click either OK or Close.

The font for "Comment [H1" (in my case... the initial will likely be
different for you) can similarly be changed, using the Balloon Text
style.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible