Iggy101

Default word wont paste once it has copied the selected text

I have just bought a new laptop, and the Word program on it will not paste
any text which I have selected and copied. I have tried all ways to copy it
i.e. using keyboard shortcuts and the menus etc. Once I have highlighted the
text and copied or cut it the paste board activates so I know that is working
ok, but when I come to paste the selected text elsewhere in the document the
paste icon on the toolbar fades, showing it has done what I have asked but
the text does not appear back in the document. When I cut the text it
disappears from its original spot, but still won't paste where I want it to.
I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me advice on how to fix this.
CyberTaz

Forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question, but are you placing your
insertion point (clicking) in an available position in the document before
you paste? If not, you're pasting right back into the same place you're
copying/cutting from.

Regards |:)

"Iggy101" wrote:

I have just bought a new laptop, and the Word program on it will not paste
any text which I have selected and copied. I have tried all ways to copy it
i.e. using keyboard shortcuts and the menus etc. Once I have highlighted the
text and copied or cut it the paste board activates so I know that is working
ok, but when I come to paste the selected text elsewhere in the document the
paste icon on the toolbar fades, showing it has done what I have asked but
the text does not appear back in the document. When I cut the text it
disappears from its original spot, but still won't paste where I want it to.
I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me advice on how to fix this.

Iggy101

I am using Word 2003, on Windows XP. It is a brand new laptop with very few
things installed on it, not sure exactly how much RAM there is or where to
look for this, sorry, but it should have quite a bit left I think.

The Software was from Microsoft Office, I had MS Works come with the
computer, and installed office after buying the laptop.

I have just loaded the same software (MS Office) onto my other computer
(desktop computer), which I have also just bought and there doesn't seem to
be a problem with it. I tried repair function from the Office disk on my
laptop, but it was late last night and haven't been able to check to see
whether it has worked yet.

I haven't tried pasting to a different document - will do that and let you
know when I get home from work tonight.

Thank you for taking the time to try and help me, I really appreciate it.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Then more info is necessary'

Which version of Word, Windows? How much RAM? Is the software actually MS
Office, or an oem version installed by the maker of your laptop?

What happens if you paste to a different doc?

Any other details would be helpful.

Regards |:)

On 7/30/05 1:28 PM, in article
, "Iggy101"

"Iggy101" wrote:

I have just bought a new laptop, and the Word program on it will not paste
any text which I have selected and copied. I have tried all ways to copy it
i.e. using keyboard shortcuts and the menus etc. Once I have highlighted the
text and copied or cut it the paste board activates so I know that is
working
ok, but when I come to paste the selected text elsewhere in the document the
paste icon on the toolbar fades, showing it has done what I have asked but
the text does not appear back in the document. When I cut the text it
disappears from its original spot, but still won't paste where I want it to.
I would be very grateful if anybody could offer me advice on how to fix
this.

Did the computer come with Works or Works Suite? If the latter, then Word
was installed as part of Works Suite, and unless you uninstalled it before
installing Office, Word was *not* installed from Office. This alone is not
too much of a problem except for installing updates (at some point you might
be well advised to uninstall Word from Works Suite and reinstall it from
Office); where the problem comes from is the Microsoft Works Suite Add-in
for Word. One of its nasty habits is clearing the Clipboard when you start
Word. Although it sounds like your problem is more widespread than that, it
is still a good idea to uninstall the add-in (through Control Panel |
Add/Remove Programs) if you are going to be running Word freestanding (not
starting it from the Works Task Launcher).

"Iggy101" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mbhuc mbhuc is offline

I am sorry to jump into the middle of this conversation, but I am also having
a problem when I try to paste In Word. I uninstalled and reinstalled. My
question is how do i know if i have works or works suite. I went to control
panel, and found works, but it looks like it isn't downloaded. there is no
date or size listed to right, just blank. any suggestions. and again, sorry
for jumping in, but don't know what to do. thank you so much ....

"Iggy101" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have Works, you won't have Word (at least not as part of it). In
Word, go to Help | About Microsoft Word and see what version it is. If it's
Word 2003, then you definitely don't have Works Suite because Word 2002 is
the latest version that comes with that. In any case, I doubt seriously that
your paste problems are related to Works at all.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Iggy101" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
woody247 woody247 is offline

"woody247" wrote:
Sorry! First tine user of this format.
Text and graphics can be copied into the clipboard and then pasted anywhere
(wordpad, email, etc with no problem) -- but will not paste to Word
document. I am running Word 2000 installed from CD. This has just happened
recently, it always worked previously . I have deleted and reinstalled Word
twice and it still can't receive clipboard data -- just blank page and "not
responding" notice. I don't have MSWorks to try. Is this a missing dll
(corrupted disc?) os should I just buy a new Vista OS and try again? Thanks
for your ideas.

"Iggy101" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I don't have MSWorks to try. Is this a missing dll
(corrupted disc?) os should I just buy a new Vista OS and try again?

Thanks
for your ideas.

This illustrates why it's not a good idea to tack onto someone else's thread
instead of starting a new one. Try using Paste | Special | As Unformatted
Text.

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
creating forms Fluffypink Microsoft Word Help 4 March 9th 05 04:17 PM