Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chester1

Default Autotext - Word 2003

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????
--
Regards Clair
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

This is happening to us as well. It doesn't hang every time any autotext is
inserted - it is only certain autotext entries. If I delete and recreate the
autotext entry that it hangs on, then I can insert the autotext entry without
any problem. These are autotext entries stored in a particular template.

I will try Safe Mode and see if that particular template functions in Safe
Mode (if it doesn't then Safe Mode is not an option) and whether the same
autotext entry freezes Word while in Safe Mode.

MarieJ
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

Opening Word in Safe Mode does not let the user open the document. We use a
Interwoven's document management system.

Any more ideas? We're about to reimage her and give her a brand new profile
just as a last resort (and the user is tapping her toe telling us to take
care of this "once and for all". Don't you just love it!)

Other users work in the same documents and do not have this problem.

MarieJ

"MarieJ" wrote:

This is happening to us as well. It doesn't hang every time any autotext is
inserted - it is only certain autotext entries. If I delete and recreate the
autotext entry that it hangs on, then I can insert the autotext entry without
any problem. These are autotext entries stored in a particular template.

I will try Safe Mode and see if that particular template functions in Safe
Mode (if it doesn't then Safe Mode is not an option) and whether the same
autotext entry freezes Word while in Safe Mode.

MarieJ
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyaWVK?=,

This is happening to us as well. It doesn't hang every time any autotext is
inserted - it is only certain autotext entries. If I delete and recreate the
autotext entry that it hangs on, then I can insert the autotext entry without
any problem. These are autotext entries stored in a particular template.

It's possible that this particular template is damaged. Given this problem, I'd
try recreating the template (from a "clean" Normal.dot). You should be able to
use Tools/Template and Addins/Organizer to copy across the AutoText entries and
any toolbars, styles, or macros. Text can be transferred by copying everything
EXCEPT the last paragraph mark.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyaWVK?=,

Opening Word in Safe Mode does not let the user open the document. We use a
Interwoven's document management system.

Any more ideas? We're about to reimage her and give her a brand new profile
just as a last resort (and the user is tapping her toe telling us to take
care of this "once and for all". Don't you just love it!)

Other users work in the same documents and do not have this problem.

Given the circumstances (Word's processes are interlaced with another product),
and that things are working normally for everyone else, a new profile might not
be a bad idea.

If that gives a lot of work, the one thing you might try before going this
route is renaming her NORMAL.DOT template before starting Word. If Normal.dot
is damaged, this could well be causing problems when inserting AutoText.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chester1

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000 or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

AutoText is stored in templates. Which template is it in? Does this happen
with all AutoText or only one entry or only ones that you have created?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Chester1" wrote in message
I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000
or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there
any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop
this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created
won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created?
If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

Here is what we have discovered. We had already tried replacing normal.dot.
We can't replace the template - it is provided by a third-party who
unfortunately doesn't have time to look at the problem.

It appeared the user froze when typing about the 4th character of what was
an existing autotext entry. I unchecked Autocorrect Options, Autotext, Show
AutoComplete suggestions. Once I did that, she stopped freezing. So it is
something going on with her computer when Word attempts to show the
autocomplete suggestion. She could care less about seeing the autocomplete
suggestion and is just happy not be be freezing anymore.

I'm wondering if lowering her hardware acceleration might have resolved it
too. We automatically lower the hardware acceleration on our image so
graphics display correctly in Word documents, but I noticed on her PC, we had
not lowered it. That would explain why her secretary and others don't have
the same problem, because I believe the show autocomplete suggestion checkbox
is checked as a default on our image. We're going to test it, but we're
letting the user cool down a little before we do that.

MarieJ

"Chester1" wrote:

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000 or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chester1

Dear Charles

The autotext is in the normal.dot and it happens with all autotext new or old.
--
Regards Clair

"Chester1" wrote in message
I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000
or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there
any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop
this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created
won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created?
If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chester1

Dear Marie

Please can you tell me how I would go about lowering the hardware
acceleration???
--
Regards Clair

"Chester1" wrote:

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000 or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

Right-click on the Desktop and choose Properties. Click the Settings tab,
Advanced, Troubleshoot. You'll see a little scale where you can lower it
from None to Full. We have to put ours on the third spot (with None being
the first spot) in order for Graphics to appear correctly in Word documents.
The description on that spot is "Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D
accelerations...". We haven't had any ill effects in any other software due
to lowering it.

MarieJ

"Chester1" wrote:

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000 or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try to
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Your third party is incompetent if they replaced your normal.dot. Word makes
its own normal.dot. It should never be a shared template.

If other users are using it without problem, though, try replacing this
user's version with one that is working for others.
--

"Chester1" wrote:

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000
or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there
any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Q2hlc3RlcjE=?=,

I am using trying to use Autotext in Word 2003, but every time I try
insert the autotext Word stops responding. Can anyone help me stop
this
happening????

If you start Word in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL), does the problem go
away
while you're in Safe Mode? (Note: any AutoText entries you've created
won't
be available, but the default ones should be there)

Is the problem happening with all autoText, or only ones you've
created? If
the latter, are the problem entries stored in a particular template?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MarieJ

No, the third party did not replace the normal.dot. I was just answering two
posts containing suggestions. The first suggestion was to replace the user's
normal.dot, which we did. The second suggestion was that the document was
created based on a corrupt template. That is the template that is provided
by a third party. I hope that's clear this time.

"Chester1" wrote:

I have just found out that the original Autotext was created in Word 2000
or
even earlier, and I think that it may be a compatibility issue is there
any
way around this??
--
Regards Clair