Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

Default How to edit a wrong spelling suggestion if right-clicking a word?

I mistakenly added Winnepesauke to my dictionary when the correct spelling is
Winnepesaukee. I have fixed the dictionary by deleting the one with the wrong
word and reinstalling the dictionary from the program CD. However, if I
mispell the word as Winnepesaukii and get the red squiggle underline,
right-clicking on the word still offers Winnepesauke as a suggested spelling.
How do I edit the list of suggested spellings?

Adding this misspelling to my dictionary is one click I really regret. You
can add whatever you want to the dictionary, and you can struggle to get the
words out, but I can't see any way to correct the suggested incorrect
spelling that comes up with a right-click on a mispelled word.

I have added auto-correction for Winnepesauke to change it to Winnepesaukee,
but really, why can't I edit the spelling suggestions? A copy of your reply
to would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect the dictionary you replaced was not Custom.dic, which is where the
spelling is stored. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/EditCustomDic.htm

"Gail Devoid" Gail wrote in message
[...]

would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

Default How to edit a wrong spelling suggestion if right-clicking a wo

I checked this again (maybe for the fourth time today) and the misspelled
word, Winnepesauke, does not appear in the custom dictionary.

I am still looking for a solution.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suspect the dictionary you replaced was not Custom.dic, which is where the
spelling is stored. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/EditCustomDic.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

No, there is only one custom.dic.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Then perhaps the spelling you're trying to remove is actually in the Word
spelling lexicon. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

I created the file mssp3en.exc, included the misspelling, and put the file
in the Proof folder this afternoon. That did not correct the situation.

I am really stumped with this one.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm stumped, too. If you deleted the word from the Custom.dic, saved the
Custom.dic, restarted Word (and Windows, if necessary)...I can't think of
anything else that might be required.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Then perhaps the spelling you're trying to remove is actually in the

Word
spelling lexicon. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

I think the only solution would be to uninstall Word, and reinstall it;
however, I have customized it so much that I will not do that.

The best solution I have is to autocorrect Winnepesauke to Winnepesaukee. At
least if I misspell the word, autocorrect will catch it first. But if I spell
it Winnipesaukee, the wrong spelling is still a suggestion.

Either the Lake in New Hampshire needs to be renamed, or MS Word needs to
correct a deficiency in the area of spelling suggestions. Of course I have
spelled it so many time the last few days, I may not misspell it in the
future. smile

Thanks for your suggestions. I know more about dictionaries than I ever did.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If I type "Winnepesaukee," I get two suggested corrections: "Winnipesaukee"
and "Winnipesauke." If the lake in New Hampshire ("Winnepesaukee") is the
only spelling you will ever use, then the solution is to add that spelling
to your custom.dic. Create an exclusion dictionary and add "Winnipesaukee"
and "Winnipesauke." Make sure that "Suggest from main dictionary only" is
not checked. That should ensure that whatever spelling you use,
"Winnepesaukee" would be the only suggestion. This is a baseline suggestion:
what you would do with Word out of the box.

In your case, however, it seems that you're getting "Winnepesauke" suggested
as a correction? I don't see how that can possibly be happening unless that
spelling is either in the main lexicon or in Custom.dic. If you are
confident that you have removed it from Custom.dic *and* you have added it
to the exclusion dictionary, then I really don't see how it can possibly be
popping up as a suggestion.

FWIW, if I google for "Winnepesaukee," Google asks if I mean
"Winnipesaukee." Although there are many hits for "Winnepesaukee" that refer
to the lake in New Hampshire, there are many more for "Winnipesaukee,"
including http://www.winnipesaukee.com/, the official home page for the lake
in question. Are you positive that your spelling is correct?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Then perhaps the spelling you're trying to remove is actually in the

Word
spelling lexicon. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Gail Devoid" wrote in

message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

First, as you pointed out, the correct spelling is Winnipesaukee. Therefore,
I started all over again and did this:

Edited mssp3en.exc to include these words:

wineepesaukee
winneepesaukee
winneepeesaukee
winnepeesaukee
winnepesaukee
winnipesauke
winnipeesauke
winnipeesaukee

I then added Winnipesaukee to my custom.dic file, and made sure "Suggest
from the main dictionary only" was unchecked.

I rebooted. Winnipesauke was still a suggested correction and I am not sure
if it was because of the capital letter. So, I edited mssp3en.exc and added
Winnipesauke.

The suggested spellings are still Winnipesauke and Winnipesaukee. I left the
autocorrect for Winnipesauke set to Winnipesaukee.

It seems to me that Winnipesauke is in the main dictionary, but excluding
winnipesauke or Winnipesauke does not work for some reason. "Suggest from the
main dictionary only" unchecked would still have the program suggest
Winnipesauke.

Perhaps the problem is that mssp3en.exc ignores words with capital letters
and the correction comes up because of the capital? For instance, I typed:

I love winnipesauke

and got a squiggled red line under the word winnipesauke. The correction
listed is Winnipesauke and Winnipesaukee. If the exclusion file will not work
with capitalized letters, then there is no way to exclude Winnipesauke, only
winnipesauke.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gail Devoid Gail Devoid is offline

I have it working!!!

I rebooted, reloaded MS Word, and now the only suggested spelling is
Winnipesaukee. I don't know if it was because I added the word with and
without a capital, and I really don't care.

I am so happy that I won't misspell this word again. I don't know how to
thank you for sticking with me through all of this. But thank you, thank you,
thank you!

Success is sweet.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would suggest adding the capitalized forms as well. Word's dictionary does
include a number of capitalized words that are marked as incorrect when they
are spelled with an initial lowercase (because the lowercase form is not in
the lexicon), so it would make sense that the capitalized form is the one
you need to exclude. We *can* solve this!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Possibly you have more than one custom dictionary?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so