Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ASAC-GJ

Default Current headers and footers wont change to custom needs

Hi, I have a document that I need to keep the current footers and headers
(cannot paste into new one or lose auto fields) yet I need there to be the
existing header ONLY on the 1st page, not the rest (it is with a logo setup).
Also, I need the existing footer (including auto fields) to be ONLY on the
last page, not the rest. I have spent the past several hours trying to
attain this goal. I have been going through and following various
suggestions on the Office Help system, etc. Nothing has worked thus far.
What would seem to be so simple, is not. laugh then cry Ok, another peice
of info is that the LINK TO PREVIOUS is not available and that seems to mean
not linked. Your help would be wonderful. Thank you, ASAC-GJ
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I have no idea what you mean by "auto fields," but anything you can put in a
header or footer can be cut or copied and pasted into a different header or
footer. To get a header/footer only on the first page, you need to check the
box for "Different first page" on the Layout tab of Page Setup and then
create or paste the desired content in the First Page Header/Footer. To have
a footer only on the last page, you need an IF field as follows:

{ IF { PAGE } = { NUMPAGES } "Footer you want on the last page" "" }

What goes between the quotes for the TrueText ("Footer you want on the last
page") can be anything. You can copy and paste an existing footer between
those quotes.

"ASAC-GJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have a document that I need to keep the current footers and headers
(cannot paste into new one or lose auto fields) yet I need there to be the
existing header ONLY on the 1st page, not the rest (it is with a logo

setup).
Also, I need the existing footer (including auto fields) to be ONLY on the
last page, not the rest. I have spent the past several hours trying to
attain this goal. I have been going through and following various
suggestions on the Office Help system, etc. Nothing has worked thus far.
What would seem to be so simple, is not. laugh then cry Ok, another

peice
of info is that the LINK TO PREVIOUS is not available and that seems to

mean
not linked. Your help would be wonderful. Thank you, ASAC-GJ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
ASAC-GJ

05/16/06 452p Thank you for your advise. I am unclear of what you mean and
the auto fields mean 'automatic fields' as things that are updated
automatically and setup to go with the rest of our computer & methods of
tracking things (i.e. where stuff came from, who by, etc). Ok that being
said, I have no idea what an IF field is or how to do it. To clarify, the
existing document is 4 pages long. I have copied and pasted headers and
footers to each other from templates. I simply want to remove the existing
header from pages 2-4 and remove the existing footer from pgs 1-3. They show
the very same info-all headers and footers same, if that helps any. I took a
break from the computer and went and did some maintenance! Thank you again,
ASAC-GJ

"ASAC-GJ" wrote in message
Hi, I have a document that I need to keep the current footers and headers
(cannot paste into new one or lose auto fields) yet I need there to be the
existing header ONLY on the 1st page, not the rest (it is with a logo

setup).
Also, I need the existing footer (including auto fields) to be ONLY on the
last page, not the rest. I have spent the past several hours trying to
attain this goal. I have been going through and following various
suggestions on the Office Help system, etc. Nothing has worked thus far.
What would seem to be so simple, is not. laugh then cry Ok, another

peice
of info is that the LINK TO PREVIOUS is not available and that seems to

mean
not linked. Your help would be wonderful. Thank you, ASAC-GJ

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Start by reading http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm; follow
up with the Help topic "Field codes: IF field." Then reread my answer. Come
back with specific questions.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"ASAC-GJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

What you are trying to do is relatively easy. For something on the first
page, try setting your headers for different first page. For only on the
last page, you need a conditional (IF) field that checks the page number and
compares it to the number of pages. Take a look at
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Number...eNumbering.htm. For even more,
see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Page_Numbering.htm. These deal with putting
page numbers on only a certain page, but you can use the idea with any text
(or graphics) that you want. For graphics, you need to anchor the graphic
inside the true text.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.