Noel S Pamfree

Default FIrst page footers

I have written a document with a different front page footer so that the
numbering of pages doesn't begin until the second page.

What is strange is that the footer on the first page appears much higher
than those on subsequent pages.

Can anyone tell me how to alter the first page footer?

Noel

Barb Reinhardt

I'm guessing that the page set up for the footers on the first page (first
section?) is different frmo the page set up for other sections. Check out
the margins and layout tabs to see if they are consistent.
"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
I have written a document with a different front page footer so that the
numbering of pages doesn't begin until the second page.

What is strange is that the footer on the first page appears much higher
than those on subsequent pages.

Can anyone tell me how to alter the first page footer?

Noel

Chuck Davis

Noel S Pamfree

Thanks for the reply.

The strange thing is that if I click on the first page of the document and
check Page Setup I get the same margins and footer settings as if I click
somewhere in the rest of the document. If I change the first page, the rest
also changes. This is even though I have 'Different first page' checked and
the section start set to new.

I am using Word 2002.

Thanks

Noel

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote in message
I'm guessing that the page set up for the footers on the first page (first
section?) is different frmo the page set up for other sections. Check
out
the margins and layout tabs to see if they are consistent.
"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
I have written a document with a different front page footer so that the
numbering of pages doesn't begin until the second page.

What is strange is that the footer on the first page appears much higher
than those on subsequent pages.

Can anyone tell me how to alter the first page footer?

Noel

Noel S Pamfree

Thanks - sorry I did not state I am using Word 2002.

I do not have any problems with the numbering - that's fine.

It's just that the footer on the front page (where I have deliberately
omitted a page number) appears much higher on the page than the subsequent
pages.

This is clearly visible on the Print Preview screen.

Noel

I would guess that some copying and pasting went on here. Word is very bad
about adding empty paragraphs in headers and footers when you do that.
Display nonprinting characters (by pressing Ctrl+* or clicking the Show/Hide
¶ button on the Standard toolbar) and you will probably see more than one
paragraph mark (¶). Delete all but one, and your footer should be back to
normal size.

"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
I have written a document with a different front page footer so that the
numbering of pages doesn't begin until the second page.

What is strange is that the footer on the first page appears much higher
than those on subsequent pages.

Can anyone tell me how to alter the first page footer?

Noel

Noel S Pamfree

Thanks for the advice.

Although I didn't find a second paragraph mark in the footer I did notice
something odd about the size of the footer. Consequently I discovered that
somehow the spacing after the footer text was set to 30 pts. A quick visit
to Format, Paragraph, solved the problem!

Something else for me to remember for the future!

Noel

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I would guess that some copying and pasting went on here. Word is very bad
about adding empty paragraphs in headers and footers when you do that.
Display nonprinting characters (by pressing Ctrl+* or clicking the
Show/Hide
¶ button on the Standard toolbar) and you will probably see more than one
paragraph mark (¶). Delete all but one, and your footer should be back to
normal size.

so
all may benefit.

"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message
I have written a document with a different front page footer so that the
numbering of pages doesn't begin until the second page.

What is strange is that the footer on the first page appears much higher
than those on subsequent pages.

Can anyone tell me how to alter the first page footer?

Noel

Sorry, yes, I should have mentioned that possibility as well (though it's
less probable). I'm guessing that some style other than Footer got applied
to the footer paragraph.

[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.