Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
floridawildlife floridawildlife is offline

Default How can I reset a section break number?

While creating a book, I have a title page and a forward that I wish not to
use page numbering on. While I can suppress the page numbers for those pages,
I am unable to reset the section number for the first chapter, so that the
chapter number and page number starts with one (i.e., 1-1) Currently, because
of the section break, the first chapter page is posted as 2-1.

HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It sounds as if you are using section numbers instead of chapter numbers.
Note that if you want the "chapter numbers" to appear in the TOC, you must
use the "Include chapter number" feature of "Format page numbers," and that
requires that you use auto numbering for one of Word's built-in heading
styles. If you don't want your heading actually numbered, you can format the
numbering as Hidden (and followed by "Nothing" instead of a space or tab),
and it will still be picked up by the page number. Alternatively, if you
have chapter numbers anyway, use a heading style with auto numbering to
generate them.

"floridawildlife" wrote in
message ...
While creating a book, I have a title page and a forward that I wish not

use page numbering on. While I can suppress the page numbers for those

pages,
I am unable to reset the section number for the first chapter, so that the
chapter number and page number starts with one (i.e., 1-1) Currently,

because
of the section break, the first chapter page is posted as 2-1.

HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
floridawildlife floridawildlife is offline

Oops, I wasn't specific enough. Ok, I'll try a little harder.

I have this book with a title page and a page for a forward (and will
probably add a table of contents), which I do not want to have page numbers.
The following pages for each chapter (1 - 8) I would like page numbers on. I
understand how to restart the page numbers and can do so for each chapter,
yet on the first chapter, it starts with two because of the section break
between the title/forward and chapter one.
While, I am able to reset the page numbers, unfortunately, I am not able to
restart the section for the first chapter so that the chapter and page number
begins with one (i.e., chapter 1, page 1 or 1-1). It seems that the chapter
and the section numbers are the same. Is there a way to "tell" Word what the
difference is?

Thanks for the first try!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, first of all, it's not a forward, it's a foreword. And you might want
to read http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm, but
it sounds as if you've already got the hang of most of that. So I'll try
again.

There is no way to renumber sections. That is absolute. You cannot use
section numbers (SECTION fields) for chapter numbers if the numbers don't
match. Also, if you are going to have a TOC (as you suggest), using section
numbers in this way will not work because only the PAGE field will be picked
up by the TOC. If that field doesn't include the chapter number (provided by
the paragraph number of an autonumbered heading style), then it will not
appear in the TOC.

If you are not using the section number to provide the first part of your
page number, where are you getting it? If it is coming from an autonumbered
heading, and the first heading in your second section is being numbered 2,
then that probably results from some paragraph in the previous section
(including the section break itself) having become formatted in the heading
style (and numbered 1, whether you can see the number or not).

"floridawildlife" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It sounds as if you are using section numbers instead of chapter

numbers.
Note that if you want the "chapter numbers" to appear in the TOC, you

must
use the "Include chapter number" feature of "Format page numbers," and

that
requires that you use auto numbering for one of Word's built-in heading
styles. If you don't want your heading actually numbered, you can format

the
numbering as Hidden (and followed by "Nothing" instead of a space or

tab),
and it will still be picked up by the page number. Alternatively, if you
have chapter numbers anyway, use a heading style with auto numbering to
generate them.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"floridawildlife" wrote in
message ...
While creating a book, I have a title page and a forward that I wish

not
use page numbering on. While I can suppress the page numbers for those

pages,
I am unable to reset the section number for the first chapter, so that

the
chapter number and page number starts with one (i.e., 1-1) Currently,

because
of the section break, the first chapter page is posted as 2-1.

HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
floridawildlife floridawildlife is offline

Hey Suzanne, Thanks for your help!

I was able to manipulate Word by using "Chapter 0" in the previous section.
It seems to be working for me. It may have been a gliche with my computer.

Thanks for your input.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

This should not be necessary, however. Whatever heading style you're using
for chapters should not be used in section 1 at all. Use a different heading
style for the front matter.

"floridawildlife" wrote in
message ...