Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

Default MailMerge from Access to Word 2003

Hi all,

I am using VBA to create MS Access applications. When my clients get
the application, they are only getting the Access run-time; they
don't
need the full version of Access in order to run the application. The
problem that I am having with is, I am using VBA to do a mailmerge
from a recordset in Access to a new word document or existing word
document. This feature works on most of my cleints' machines.
However, for certain clients, when the word document comes up, the
Insert Merge Fields option in the Mail Merge Toolbar would be greyed
out. For these clients that are having problem, they are all using
Windows XP Professional with MS Word 2003. The weird thing is, I
have
Windows XP Professional with MS Word 2003 too but it works for me
every single time. My codes are as follows, can anyone give me some
pointers on how to correct the problem please?

Thanks in advance,
Monte

Set WordApp = CreateObject("Word.Application")

If stMergeDoc = "" Then 'Create a new Word doc

Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Add

Else 'Open the word document selected by the user

Set WordDoc = WordApp.Documents.Open(stMergeDoc)
'Set objWord = GetObject(stMergeDoc, "Word.Document")

End If

WordApp.Visible = True
'objWord.Application.Visible = True

WordDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:=CurrentDb.Name, _
LinkToSource:=True, _
Connection:="QUERY " & stMergeSrc, _
SubType:=wdMergeSubTypeWord2000
'SQLStatement:=strSQL

If Err.Number = 448 Then 'they have word 2000, so try again
without the subtype argument

WordDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:=CurrentDb.Name, _
LinkToSource:=True, _
Connection:="QUERY " & stMergeSrc
End If

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Maybe the "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message is
getting in the way.

See:http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

wrote in message

[...]

End If- Hide quoted text -

No, my clients don't get that message. However, they do get a message
saying Windows has problem starting Microsoft Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking them to
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

Peter Jamieson
oups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

On May 10, 9:36 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking them to
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

oups.com...

wrote:
Maybe the "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message is
getting in the way.

See:http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

saying Windows has problem starting Microsoft Word.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your response.

To answer your question, no, I don't ship any .doc with the software.
It is up to my clients to define their mail templates.

Most of my clients are not computer savvy at all. Lots of them don't
even know how to copy files from their own desktop to a CD or to a
flash drive. That's the difficult part. If they know something, I
can ask them to try certain thing for me. But since lots of them are
not computer savvy, it may do more harm than good if I were to tell
them to try things.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...
wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking them
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if
there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that
probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably
technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

oups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

On May 10, 2:10 pm, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...

wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking them
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if
there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that
probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably
technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

groups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

them to try things.- Hide quoted text -

a. Not to my knowledge. The thing is some of my other clients also
have Windows XP and Office 2003 and they have no problems either.
Only a few of them are having this problem.

b. Yes and it works on my end in the test computer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Stepping back a bit...

No, my clients don't get that message. However, they do get a message
saying Windows has problem starting Microsoft Word.

What is this message exactly? Earlier you were saying that the users ended
up seeing an open document (I think) but with the field dropdwon greyed out,
which suggests that despite a problem starting Word, Access does manage to
do it.

Also, when you are automating Word, you would not typically see the SQL
message mentioned by Doug. What actually happens is that if the
SQLSecurityCheck value in the registry is not set appropriately, Word
silently fails to execute the OpenDataSource - in other words, you probably
still need to get the users to check and alter that registry value - which
may not be easy to do either because they are not technically minded or
because its against their network admin's policy. But maybe you can check
that on your own test system?

Peter Jamieson
ups.com...
wrote:
OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

ups.com...

wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct
Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would
you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking
them
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if
there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that
probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably
technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

groups.com...

wrote:
Maybe the "Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message
is
getting in the way.

See:http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] sweetguy1only@gmail.com is offline

On May 22, 6:16 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Stepping back a bit...

[...]

ups.com...

wrote:
OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

roups.com...

wrote:
Do you ship a .doc with the connection already made to the correct
Access
path name - i.e. if they opened the Word .doc in Word directly, would
you
expect it to be connected to the database? If so, it is worth asking
them
try that to see what error message they get. It is probably also worth
asking them to connect manually to the query to see what happens - if
there
is no suitable document, asking /one/ of your clients to try that
probably
wouldn't be too onerous as long as they are reasonably
technically-minded,
particularly if you can get them to display the mail merge toolbar.

groups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

b. Yes and it works on my end in the test computer.- Hide quoted text -

Is there a way to set that SQLSecurityCheck value programmatically?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

This is outside my familiar territory, but you can probably do it using a
WIn 32 call from VBA, as long as the user who runs the code has permission
to make that change. But I don't have code for that. You /should/ be able to
provide a .reg file with just the necessary registry keys and values (export
one from regedit.exe and you have the starting point for what you need), and
either get the user to double-click on that .reg file or find some other way
to "execute" it.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 22, 6:16 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Stepping back a bit...

[...]

ups.com...

wrote:
OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems
that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind
of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely
client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps
in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

roups.com...

wrote:
[...]

groups.com...

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dixie Dixie is offline

This should work. Put it in a .reg file, then just double click it. If
they have registry editing rights, it will write the key they need into the
registry. You can run .reg files programatically.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\W ord\Options]
"SQLSecurityCheck"=dword:00000000

dixie

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
This is outside my familiar territory, but you can probably do it using a
WIn 32 call from VBA, as long as the user who runs the code has permission
to make that change. But I don't have code for that. You /should/ be able
to provide a .reg file with just the necessary registry keys and values
(export one from regedit.exe and you have the starting point for what you
need), and either get the user to double-click on that .reg file or find
some other way to "execute" it.

Peter Jamieson

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 22, 6:16 am, "Peter Jamieson"
wrote:
Stepping back a bit...

[...]

ups.com...

wrote:
OK, so you can't experiment in the client environment.

Questions/thoughts:
a. is there any other obvious difference between the client systems
that
work and the ones that don't? Perhaps the systems that do not work
are
operating in a more tightly controlled network environemt? That kind
of
thing? Maybe you cannot tell.
b. Do you have a testbed that more accurately reflects a likely
client
environment, e.g. does not have any development tools on it? Perhaps
in a
VM?

Peter Jamieson

roups.com...

[...]