Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stan Hilliard

Default DOC files open with wrong program.

I have both Word97 and OpenOffice installed. When I double click
myfile.doc it opens with OpenOffice.

I have set [start][setting][folder options][file types] all five word
types to open with winword.exe using.

"D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\WINWORD.EXE" /n

I CAN open the .doc with Word by [cntl][rgt click][open with][winword]

There seems to be more to it than just changing the folder options.
How can I fix this so Word by default opens the .DOC files?

How can I switch the default program back and forth between word and
OpenOffice?

My OS=Windows98SE

Help will be appreciated,
Stan Hilliard
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Method 1: run winword.exe with the /r switch. That's R for Re-register.

Method 2: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools Folder Options File Types
(sounds like you tried this)

Method 3: Open the registry and set the extension associations manually.

"Stan Hilliard" wrote in message
I have both Word97 and OpenOffice installed. When I double click
myfile.doc it opens with OpenOffice.

I have set [start][setting][folder options][file types] all five word
types to open with winword.exe using.

"D:\MSOFFICE\OFFICE\WINWORD.EXE" /n

I CAN open the .doc with Word by [cntl][rgt click][open with][winword]

There seems to be more to it than just changing the folder options.
How can I fix this so Word by default opens the .DOC files?

How can I switch the default program back and forth between word and
OpenOffice?

My OS=Windows98SE

Help will be appreciated,
Stan Hilliard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stan Hilliard

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:49:24 +1100, "Jezebel"
wrote:

Method 1: run winword.exe with the /r switch. That's R for Re-register.

Method 2: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools Folder Options File Types
(sounds like you tried this)

Thanks Jezebel. Method 2 worked.
Stan Hilliard

Method 3: Open the registry and set the extension associations manually.

.. .