chuggypig

Default Office Professional 2000.

My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig
garfield-n-odie

Word thinks all files on a CD are read-only. Copy the files back to
your hard drive and work on the copy. To remove the read-only attribute
from the copy on the hard drive, right-click on the filename in Windows
Explorer, left-click on Properties, and uncheck the "Read only" box.

chuggypig wrote:

My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

Files saved to a CD are always Read Only by definition. Copy them back to
the HD and remove the Read Only attribute.

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

chuggypig

Thanks but I have tried this, (In WE). When I go back to it later it has
changed itself back again!! Having to keep sending copies back and forth
makes me afraid I am going to lose something important.
chuggypig

chuggypig wrote:

My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

Charles Kenyon

Also, you should not be saving directly to a CD-R or CD-RW from within Word.

If you want to be able to use your documents, when working with in Word, act
as if your floppy drive does not exist. (This applies to CDRW/CDR drives as
well.)
Don't use Word to:
Open a document on a floppy
Print a document on a floppy
Edit a document on a floppy
Save a document to a floppy (not even a copy)

Word regularly trashes documents on floppy drives!

Instead, work on the document using your hard drive. Copy it back and forth
using Windows.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

chuggypig

Sadly Mr Kenyon this does answer my query! I have just bought a new computer
with Wndows XP already installed. I have a several years' worth of documents
that are irreplaceable and thought by going 'upmarket' and saving them to
CD-RW I should preserve them for posterity - or at least to see me out!
Although my old 'clockwork' Windows 98 may have been primitive it could at
least send docs direct to floppies without fear of them being lost. I think
the retailer (PC World) has a lot to answer for as I PARTICULARLY explained
EXACTLY what I needed this computer for - apart from the increased storage.
Thanks to all who have answered.
chuggypig

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as "Read
only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

Graham Mayor

The operating system had nothing to do with the potential for Word to
corrupt documents saved to removable media - especially floppies. If you
managed to do this without problem in the past, consider yourself very
fortunate.

CDRW is an archive media (and please use CDR discs not CDRW if you want to
ensure that your archive is safe for the future). The fact remains that all
file operations in Word (certainly any version from Word 97 to the present)
should be conducted via the hard drive.

I don't think the retailer has anything to answer for. What appears to be at
fault here is your understanding of how filing systems, and especially CD
filing systems work.

The safest method of file transfer (or storage) via CDR disc is to copy the
documents to the disc from hard drive using the multisession ISO data format
of the CDR mastering software (Nero?). This will set the read-only bit,
which will have to be unset should you copy the data back to the harddrive
for further use.

Any other type of CDR use (especially using CDRW in 'big floppy' mode)
cannot be guaranteed to produce discs that will be readable in the future or
on other PCs.

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as
"Read only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

chuggypig

Dear Mr Mayor, I quite agree with you when you say that my understanding is
at fault. That is exactly the reason why I asked the retailer for his
professional advice. Which, as I am now struggling with this site, it is
obvious that I did not get! Horses are my forte. I do not think you would be
very pleased if, relying on my advice, you bought a show jumper when what you
really wanted was a child's first pony? "Nero" I'm afraid, is all Greek to
me. But I shall study your advice for which I thank you. chuggypig

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as
"Read only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

chuggypig

A friend has suggested the following "READ ONLY" CD-RWs and it seems to
work.
Insert CD and open file. X File on Toolbar. X Save AS. X Select Desktop from
drop-down list. X Save. X Close. Open from Desktop as un-read only.
Make changes. X Save. X Close. Go back to Desktop. RX file and Send To
CD-RW.
chuggypig

"chuggypig" wrote in message
My "Word" documents in Office 2000 when saved to CD-RW come up as
"Read only". Why? And how do I change it?

chuggypig

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cambridgehank

I have run into the same issue. i am trying to transfer my thesis onto a cd
rw. Most of the document is full of hyperlinks to other documents. When I
transfer the folder containing all the documents the hyperlinks do not change
to the new location and I cannot do it manually. Is there no way around
this? It works if I use a USB Drive?