Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

Default Word to HTML - mission impossible

Word to HTML - mission impossible?
I try to work with exported HTML format from Word 2007, but it is not
possible to use it.
You can image a file with about hundred pages with images and text.
After export is the HTML file not possible to use it with IE. You can open
it but there are lot of redundant elements inside the source code and every
move with stroller stops the IE and the browser will crash after some using
of such a file.
I fight with export from Word to HTML many months. The problem is, we need
to have a HTML version of our documentation.
My colleagues are working with Word and for me is too difficult to create a
new file e.g. in Adobe Indesign to create HTML file properly.
What would you recommend for work flow to prepare HTML document properly?
We use Word 2007. What about CSS styles with Word? Maybe this would be
solution how to create cleaner production?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz [RMF] Robert M. Franz [RMF] is offline

Hello Jan

Jan wrote:
Word to HTML - mission impossible?
I try to work with exported HTML format from Word 2007, but it is not
possible to use it.
You can image a file with about hundred pages with images and text.
After export is the HTML file not possible to use it with IE. You can open
it but there are lot of redundant elements inside the source code and every
move with stroller stops the IE and the browser will crash after some using
of such a file.

you have tried to export this as a filtered website, right? The
resulting code has much improved over the last couple of versions IMHO.
Of course the quality also depends on the structure of the Word document.

I fight with export from Word to HTML many months. The problem is, we need
to have a HTML version of our documentation.
My colleagues are working with Word and for me is too difficult to create a
new file e.g. in Adobe Indesign to create HTML file properly.
What would you recommend for work flow to prepare HTML document properly?
We use Word 2007. What about CSS styles with Word? Maybe this would be
solution how to create cleaner production?

In earlier days, I used to run Word's output through HTMLTidy. I don't
think this is still called for when using filtered HTML, but you can
always try.

A single HTML file 100 pages in length doesn't strike me as the best
choice, though. Wouldn't PDF serve the same purpose here better?

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |